First eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bama bigboy, May 20, 2011.

1. bama bigboy

bama bigboy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2011
    My girls just layed there first eggs, 16 in all. Have 18 chicken. Can you eat the first eggs or do you need to let them lay a few more times before I eat them?

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    First congrats and yes you can eat them.

3. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    First [​IMG] from Oklahoma

Yes you can eat there first eggs! That first bite makes it all worth it! Congrats!

Nate

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

What they said! Don't deny yourself the goodness of those first eggs!!! (It's a total "old wives tale" that you cannot eat a pullet's first egg.)

5. kscottjoyce

kscottjoyce Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    Townsend
    I had a hen that just started laying this morning. A very small egg, it is really cute. But I plan on making pinholes on both ends of the egg and blowing out the yolk and white. I'll just add the yolk and white to scrambled eggs and get to keep the shell just for the fun of it. Just an idea...

6. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Grats on the first egg! I took pictures of mine and ate it. Not that day, but I treated it pretty much like any other egg once I was done showing it off to people that really didn't "get" why it was such a big deal LOL.

7. kscottjoyce

kscottjoyce Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    Townsend
    Haha, I know what you mean by people not seeing why it is such a big deal. I don't think they know the time and care it takes to raise a hen and finally be rewarded with an egg.

8. bama bigboy

bama bigboy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2011
    Thanks you for the info.

9. pontoosuc

pontoosuc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Richmond, MA
    Yes, bama, ENJOY, and savor every little bite! It's a long time coming, and a lot of hard work on your part and the pullets!

I saved my first dozen pullet eggshells. Yeah, my husband thinks it's gross too, but they are inside a little cast iron rooster doorstop,
    so nobody knows they are there unless I tell them.

They are so tiny.

have fun.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by