First eggs!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by boxedcow, Feb 21, 2012.

1. boxedcow

boxedcow Out Of The Brooder

Peaches has been acting as if she was ready, and Mr. Wiggles has been a tad more cranky than normal so I thought maybe she had started to lay. Sunday she went into the dog house right after being let out in the morning, she almost ran it was so cute. She stayed in there for about an hour, and kept turning and tucking shavings up around her. I almost saw her lay one but when I went to check I didn't see anything.

Apparently I didn't dig deep enough because after I put them in last night I dug around again. Low and behold not only was there one egg...there were 8!! I did take them as she only 10 months old and honestly two geese right now are enough for me. I did leave her 1 egg as I felt like such a meanie taking them all away. She is not sitting on them steady, so they won't be hatching, I think I may take them daily like the chickens.

Here they are :)

[​IMG]

One with a chicken egg in it to compare

[​IMG]

I am so proud of her [​IMG]

2. littledear

littledear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    Cabot, Arkansas
    Well it sounds like she did the same thing my Chinese-Troulouse mixes did. They are about 11 months old right now and I have been taking their eggs to incubate. I can tell you that not many of them are fertile at this point so you might as well collect them and enjoy them like you do the chicken eggs. My daughter won't eat the goose eggs as she looks at them like they are the babies of her pet geese and won't touch them so we are trying to incubate them with the agreement that she will sell the babies at the farmer's market for spending money and feed money. The goose eggs are wonderful for baking with if you bake, especially for cakes.

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Beautiful Eggs! [​IMG]

4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Very cool! Looking forward to the first eggs from my 10-month-old kids. :)

5. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Congratulations - they can be very clever at hiding those eggs [​IMG]

6. kimberly35042

kimberly35042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2009
    Central Alabama
    I can see how you overlooked the eggs. My ladies know make sure their eggs are buried GOOD!!!

I have had good fertility with 2 of my yearling geese (only first egg out of 8 was clear) but I have another goose that has laid 3 clear eggs in a row. That gander better get to work!

7. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Its still very early in the season and most ganders will get going very soon. We've only just had our first egg yesterday from a Buff African and it looks like a smaller maiden egg. I expect of the coming weeks egg production should start with the others but at least we can hope for warmer Spring weather when the goslings arrive [​IMG]

8. boxedcow

boxedcow Out Of The Brooder

Thank you :)

Yes, I do bake and plan on trying something made with them soon. They are such amazing little goobers. Now for my duck to start laying, she keeps following Peaches around and watches her when she goes into the dog house. She acts like her nursemaid its too cute.

9. littledear

littledear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    Cabot, Arkansas
    Geese are very intertaining and I would have never realized it if I hadn't got some eggs for my daughter to hatch out. They can be so much fun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by