First eggs!

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by KWAK, Mar 29, 2012.

1. KWAK

KWAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    Michigan
    My pigeons started building nests and today a few of them have single eggs in them, how long until they lay the 2nd egg?

2. gunnarwordon

gunnarwordon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2012
    Chatham, New York.
    could be soon....... how many pigeons do you have overall? some only lay one there first time, if it is indeed there first time.

3. KWAK

Feb 2, 2009
    Michigan
    I have around 20 pigeons, do they start icubating the eggs as soon as the first one is laid or wait until there are 2 eggs?

4. gunnarwordon

Jan 15, 2012
    Chatham, New York.
    they have to start as soon as the first is layed, as it won't hatch if it isn't.can you take a picture of the nest set up and the egg?

5. KWAK

Feb 2, 2009
    Michigan
    Alright, I thought they were on the egg because they were done laying, they now have a 2nd egg.

6. KWAK

Feb 2, 2009
    Michigan
    This is the only pic I have of the nest boxes,
    half of them are like the one in the pic and the other half are just dog dishes.
    [​IMG]

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The second egg is laid 2 days after the first. Generally parents will hover over the egg, but not brood completely until the second is laid. If they were to start brooding immediately the first egg would hatch 2 days before the second putting the second at a serious disadvantage. When I was serious about breeding rollers, I would put my birds together in mid Feb. I would always remove the first egg replacing it with a wooden 'nest egg'. Once the second was laid, I would return the first to the nest. Before I started doing this the first egg would frequently become chilled and non viable.

8. gunnarwordon

Jan 15, 2012
    Chatham, New York.
    wow, thanks for the fact that they lay exactly two days after. i never knew that.... i just thought it was random. we learn something new everyday!

9. Pigeons usually dont begin setting until the second egg is layed so they will hatch at the same time. They will hang out and guard the first egg, but usually dont set them until the second is layed.

10. KWAK

Feb 2, 2009
    Michigan
    How do I know how many days are left for the eggs to hatch?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by