First eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hdmax, Oct 5, 2013.

1. hdmax

hdmax Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Central Ohio
    I have nine 18 week old and ten 17 week old Red Sex Link girls, (And many other girls of ages ranging from 14 -16 weeks, all brown egg layers!) I got my first egg, brown in color, well really 1st, 2nd, and 3rd egg today. All were in the nest!
    I really don't think all three girls would start laying the same day, so my guess is there have been some laying outside while free ranging, and once the first one used the box, the others followed suit! What are your opinions?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Congratulations on your first eggs! Well, that you know of :) Could very well be that some have been laying outside for a week or so, or with as many girls as you do have, maybe you just got lucky and three decided to lay on the same day for the first time. Have you gone on an egg hunt outside?

3. hdmax

hdmax Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Central Ohio
    I am out in the 2 acre penned in area everyday for a good amount of time, but 2 acres are a very large area to find an egg in, especially since there are many, many areas that is very hard to look in. (Such as briers, ornamental grasses, woods, and now with fall is here a whole lot of leaves.)
    Thank you for the congrats!
    The eggs were 37-41 grams. Very small compared to most brown eggs, (In the 65-75 gram range, at least the eggs I've weighed.) So I know they haven't been laying long at all.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by