First eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kvanconant, Feb 10, 2014.

1. kvanconant

kvanconant Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2014
    So I checked our chickens when I got home from work (about 5:30) and we already had 2 eggs. I was told we might have to wait a few weeks for our Heritage chickens to start laying again because they were being moved. Well we ended up getting two eggs in less then 24 hours of moving them to our house in their new coop.
    My wife took the picture and the picture makes them look about the same size. The spotted egg is actually about a medium egg and the solid brown egg is a pretty large egg.
    Both Heritage chickens are 9 months old and was already laying eggs.
    Do eggs vary that much in size in some chickens?
    Both hens are pretty close to the same size but one produced a large egg and one produced about a medium egg.
    Thanks

[​IMG]

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

First, Congrats on the eggs and new chickens! Always Exciting!

Also, WELCOME! [​IMG]

Now, to answer your questions:

Are they both the same breed?

Different breeds tend to lay different size eggs.

But, even if they are the same breed, eggs are very individual. If you pay attention, you should be able to figure out which eggs are laid by which chicken.

3. kvanconant

Feb 10, 2014
    Thank you!

Both are same age and both are heritage hens.
    It was pretty exciting checking on them and already getting some eggs.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC and congrats on the eggs! As Alaskan said, egg sizes vary between breeds and individual hens. The size of the hen doesn't always matter. For example I have a smallish size X-breed hen here that lays big eggs and a large X-breed hen that lays small eggs.

5. kvanconant

Feb 10, 2014
    Oh Ok Cool Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by