First Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JennySkarsten, Aug 23, 2014.

1. JennySkarsten

JennySkarsten Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2014
    Holly, Michigan
    [​IMG]

I have gotten 3 eggs in 4 days. I know which one laid the first one because I saw her in the nesting box trying to lay. Don't the eggs get bigger with each egg? My question is this. All 3 are the same shade of green and the same size. I am wondering if they are from the same hen or different hens as I have 3 EE the same age, 21 weeks today, raised together?? Here is a picture of my EE that laid the first egg and likes her belly rubs!! lol And her first egg, very small but with good shape.[​IMG]

2. rc4u

rc4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2014
    it takes time i guess as mine started laying about two weeks ago and now about 5-6 eggs a day and still kinda small...jeff

3. Mallory8502

Mallory8502 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2014
    If you are only getting one egg in the nesting box per day, same color and size, then yes its probably from the one hen you know is laying, unless you catch the others messing around in the nesting box. Some of my EEs laid big eggs from day 1 and the size did not increase much over time. I had other EEs though that laid teeny eggs for a couple weeks that gradually increased in size over a period of 4-6 weeks until they were medium/large.

4. tcstoehr

tcstoehr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Canby, Oregon
    Agree... same chicken. My Australorp has been the first of my small flock to lay. Seven eggs in 9 days so far. All virtually identical.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    LOL I have one looks much like that...but she would never tolerate a belly rub!
    Never has liked to be handles from a day old, despite many days of handling she never got used to it.

6. Rainier

Rainier Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2014
    Thurston County, WA
    Our girls started laying three weeks ago. The eggs look (and taste) great they are just small. I asked around because I was concerned that they were still small and I was told that it takes several months of laying before they are regular size for their breed. We have seven hens. Four Australorps, two Production Reds, and one banty chick that I think is a Wyandotte.
    Here is what our eggs like look compared to a bic lighter. My Australorp were the first to lay as well. We are still waiting on the Production Reds to lay but they are showing signs that they are gonna start any time now. We are getting 3 eggs a day, every day.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  7. JennySkarsten

Apr 3, 2014
    Holly, Michigan
    Thanks Jeff.

8. JennySkarsten

Apr 3, 2014
    Holly, Michigan
    Thank you Ranier.

9. JennySkarsten

Apr 3, 2014
    Holly, Michigan
    Thank you Mallory. All of my hens are getting real curious, looking in the nest boxes and picking at the golf balls and when the first egg was laid a few were checking it out. But I am inclined to think that it is the one he laying right now. You have been very helpful.

10. JennySkarsten

Apr 3, 2014
    Holly, Michigan
    Thank you tcstoehr.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by