First ever banties hatching...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ninjapoodles, Jan 14, 2009.

1. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    ...and I feel I must report that a newborn NN chick? Is the UGLIEST cute thing I've ever seen! [​IMG]

Day 20, 4 hatched so far: 1 silkie, 2 frizzled cochins, 1 NN/cochin, all bantams from Dipsy Doodle Doo. I followed wheaties' instructions for dry incubation, and have been having a wonderful time of it so far.

100% of my shipped eggs from DDD were alive and kicking on Day 18, so [​IMG] for a successful hatch!

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    CONGRATS on the new babies !!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

And YES they are pretty UGLY [​IMG]

3. kbbeale

kbbeale Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    Adkins, Tx
    I actually think that the NN babies are pretty cute. It's when they're older that they're uglier than sin [​IMG]

Where is this "wheaties" article on dry incubation??

4. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Congrats!! [​IMG]

5. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. That's great, Belinda!!! I hope the rest pop on out for you.

The dry incubation described in that article (I don't think it by a wheatie --- by worrell somebody) is what I use here, kind of.

Maybe the NN will grow on you.

Congratulations on the new chicks.
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

7. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  8. junebug7334

junebug7334 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    what's a NN? oh never mind I just figured it out...............too much wine---not enough dinner!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  9. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:[​IMG] DARN WINE !!!! [​IMG]

10. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Quote:Its pretty much the same as this, just with the way "he" does it..... https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-DryIncubation.html

I
    wil look for the post for you, BRB !!

EDIT : Here yah go.... https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=113681

Yeah, that's it. I did it the way that wheaties says she does it, not the way the quoted article says. I kept humidity between 25-35% days 1-18, and then increased it just a little for days 18-21, never letting it get higher than 55%. Compared to doing it "as instructed" on previous hatches, I am having an astronomically higher rate of success.

I don't know what the final tally will be, but out of 18 eggs (14 of which I KNOW were alive and well on Day 18, and 4 of which I couldn't candle through), so far 8 chicks have already hatched, two more are pipped, and I can hear pecking from inside at least one frizzle egg. TOMORROW is Day 21!

And the sad news: My heat lamp slipped down and overheated my first two hatchlings, a gorgeous frizzled cochin and a silkie. My own stupid fault that I lost them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by