1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First Ever Broodie Mama Hatch! Questions about remaining eggs!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lil_Miss_Farmer_Chick, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Lil_Miss_Farmer_Chick

Lil_Miss_Farmer_Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2009
    Kalkaska, Michigan
    We have a 33 week old Silkie "Black Bettie" that went broodie the end of October, Early November. She started sitting on nothing so we gave her 4 eggs to sit on the beginning of November (1-4). I never thought to mark them until it was too late. She ended up with 9 eggs, she would go out to eat and drink and another girl would lay in the nest with the other eggs and then she would go back and sit on them. On the 24th she had an egg that pipped, then died so I took it away on the 25th and left the rest.
    This is what we found this morning.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We found one beautiful baby and she has 7 eggs left, that would be a really staggered hatch. This being our first broodie and not really thinking ahead to what comes next, we didn't think to put her in a brooder box. She is sitting in a platic milk crate 3 1/2 feet off the floor. We put a very small 1/8 measuring cup of water in there for mama and baby for today and we would like to move them to the brooder box tomorrow. Has anyone else had this happen. Should we put the remaining eggs in there with her, she is still sitting on them and the baby so I am at a loss as what to do. I honestly did not expect to see any of them hatch out with the cold temps we have been having lately. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    How cool! [​IMG]

I've been wondering what you've been up too. Can't wait to see if any of my cochins will go broody this spring!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by