First ever broody. :D

MotherMal13

Songster
10 Years
Jul 8, 2009
Waterport, NY
One of my silkie hens went broody about a week ago and i stuck some eggs under her and hoped for the best.
fl.gif
Well on sunday my neighbors dog got in and killed one of my other silkie girls and scared her off her nest. The next morning i went out to check on them and she was back on the nest.
ep.gif
One of the eggs was from the girl that had died on Sunday. I candled today and saw some veins in her egg and 2 others!
yippiechickie.gif
Yay i might have my first ever hatched chicks here. Hatch date is 3-28.
smile.png

36298_camera_pics_311.jpg

This is Miss Lola sitting on her eggs.
big_smile.png

Last edited:

MotherMal13

Songster
10 Years
Jul 8, 2009
Waterport, NY
When i checked them yesterday one of my delawares, Angel was in the nest box with Lola, Lola is so small she was barely visable.
lol.png
Then i went out earlier today it was just Angel on the nest and Lola was out with the rest of the chickens. When i put them away Lola was back on the nest. I think there taking turns.
smile.png
Lol. Is this normal?
hu.gif

Chick-a-roos

Songster
10 Years
Jun 3, 2009
Blue Ridge, GA
Congratulations! How many eggs Lola/Angel have? Lola was probably just up to poop and eat.
Sorry...about your other silkie girl
sad.png

I have two bantam cochins that are broody together in the same little nest box...of course they are only sitting on air!
gig.gif

ya.gif
my title just changed! I'm finally out of the brooder!!!
wee.gif

Last edited:

gameboygal12

Songster
9 Years
Feb 24, 2010
Quote:
yes it's normal. the other chickens will be mean and try to steal the box from her. so I moved my broody hen to my basement. she's sleeping soundly right now!
roll.png

MotherMal13

Songster
10 Years
Jul 8, 2009
Waterport, NY
They're goofy arent they? Haha
smile.png
She has 7 eggs 3 silkie and 4.. others. She was only sitting on hay so i stuck some eggs under her and hoped for the best.
lol.png
I put them under her 4 days after she went broody, do you think she would give up on them? And should i move her.. away from the others?? Thanks.
smile.png

Chick-a-roos

Songster
10 Years
Jun 3, 2009
Blue Ridge, GA
Quote:
I would say yes if you want Lola to hatch those eggs and of course if you have somewhere safe to put her and the eggs. I would think a Delaware could take over a silkie. Maybe someone with more experience can offer some extra advise.

MotherMal13

Songster
10 Years
Jul 8, 2009
Waterport, NY
I'm not sure how to move her.. should i move her into the house during the night and put her and the eggs into a cadbord box on its side? And what should i put the whole setup in, or does it matter? Thanks.
smile.png

Last edited:

MotherMal13

Songster
10 Years
Jul 8, 2009
Waterport, NY
Well i moved her yesterday into a huge dog cage and out a cardbord box in there with some hay and her eggs and she went right in it!
woot.gif
I tried to candle them but im not too sure what im looking at. Looks like there is a little baby forming and Then therre is a big ring around it~ what does this mean. Or would pics help? Thanks.. Were on day 11.
smile.png

Top Bottom