First Ever Broody - Have A Question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by HenThymes, Jul 20, 2010.

1. HenThymes

HenThymes pippin ain't easy

Feb 27, 2010
    Foothills of NC
    Well, after two years of having chickens I have my first broody. YEAH!! [​IMG] But have a question: She decided to make her nest in the sand box (we have one in every run for them to take sand bathes). Is that going to affect the chicks, hatching in sand??? Do I need to move her nest or will it be fine?? TIA [​IMG]

2. smokeyodie97

smokeyodie97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    MISSISSIPPI
    I don't know mine went broody MONDAY

3. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    You may not have to worry about this but i was reading today about fleas and mites and how they bread in sand and dirt.
    It may be something to consider - moving her to a box with shavings instead of on the ground where she could possibly become infested.

I am new at this my self but I also read on BYC that broodies can become infested fairly quickly.

Just do some research listen to some older Chicken owners they will have a lot of advice.

4. smokeyodie97

smokeyodie97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    MISSISSIPPI
    I don't know mine went broody MONDAY

5. HenThymes

HenThymes pippin ain't easy

Feb 27, 2010
    Foothills of NC
    Quote:The box that she built her nest in is at least a minimum of 8" off the ground, it's actually at small plastic tote filled with sand for them to bath in when they want. They are in the barn in runs with shavings in them. We do dust everyone periodically with seven and we dust the pens as well as use permethrin spray in and around the barn. We have not had any issues with fleas or mites thus far so I may be in the clear with them. I am just concerned about chicks hatching out in sand??

p.s. - she is a tiny serama, forgot to mention that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by