First ever butcher day in the books

kelliott

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 3, 2012
SW Iowa
Butchered a little over half of our 75 cornish -x broilers and noticed the following

They stink when you scald them. About midway through I tried the old CSI trick and put vicks vapo-rub under my nostrils and that seemed to help a bit.

Scalding was the trickiest bit. Too much scald and the plucker rips the skin. Too little and you are left with alot of hand plucking.

Killing them isn't that hard (emotionally), however some of the fat boys were too big for out broiler cones.

My daughter is now an expert at the killing. Kinda scary.

I let my wife & the neighbor handle the inside work, although, she threatens to let me do it if I dont have heaters to keep their feet warm.

I need to put a belt tensioner on the plucker so it doesnt slip when the belt gets wet. I also need to put a shield over the lower pulley and belt assembly. I figure I can loosen the motor mount bolts and pound in some shims to pull the belt tight until I can figure out something better this winter.

All in all, the freezer is half full of chicken, looking forward to next saturday to finish the work.

I pre-dunked mine in a large tub of water. Changed it often. Feathers stink, not to much you can do about it.
Glad all went well. A simple spring attached to an idler pulley and a scrap 2x4 will make the perfect tensioner. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom