First ever chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by fergo100, Apr 16, 2012.

1. fergo100

fergo100 New Egg

Apr 16, 2012
    Hello, I recently got 11 ex battery hens which are my first chickens ever. Im realy confused about what and how much to feed them. Between the 11 of them, I feed 3 cups of pollard (i think its rice in powder form??? im not too sure) mixed with oats in the morning and then 2 cups of mixed grains in the afternoon. They have about 15 metres x 5 metres of space to run around in so i guess they eat some grass ad bugs and stuff too. I also give them some lettuce or something similar fairly often. Is this enough food and are they getting all the nutrients they need?!
    Thanks
    Daniel

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    First welcome to BYC. A hen eats about !/4 to 1/3 lbs a day so your hens would eat about 2.75 lbs a day at 1/4 lbs. That converts to1.25kg a day. So weigh what your giveing them to find out if the weight is right. A couple of things to consider. What your giving them isn't a balanced diet. So think about getting a balanced chicken feed, that has all the nutrients they need. I don't know what your climate is so I don't know how long you run will stay green. Since almost every climate has a dry season or freezing season what they can find in the run will be limited at those times and they will need more food from you. Even in a good climate 11 chickens can beat up even a large area like yours.

3. WI FarmChick

WI FarmChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    I am guessing that being ex battery chickens they really didn't get out and eat grass or bugs much.

Do you have grit available?

They will need grit for their gizzard to process their lettuce and grass, bugs and things. start slow as the gizzard is a muscle and needs time to develop the strength to process their greens and bugs and any other seed items you are/will be giving.

Have fun. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by