First ever chicks

WrenRowan

Hatching
Dec 14, 2016
Hello all! I have been reading forums for a while here before deciding to join. We bought a few already laying hens a few years back. They were good to us, but we have been without any hens for about 4 years. We have decided to raise chicks for the first time. We just picked up five 4-day old Welsummer girls and I'm in love. They are in a brooder in our den. I'm still reading and learning as I go, but being in Northern Kentucky, I'm wondering when it will be safe to move them out this time of year (12-14). We have just built a draft free tractor coop.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to BYC! :welcome
Congrats on your beautiful little chicks and welsummers are a good choice :). I love anything that lays chocoated eggs.

Normally you would want to take the chicks out of the brooder when they are fully feathered. Which is usually around 6 weeks but sometimes takes a bit longer.

Last edited:
Thank you! That's what I have been reading, but I wasn't sure if it was different for winter babies. I think we will be pleased with the Wellies. Last time we had Easter Eggers, Barred Rock, and Golden Commets but they were older and not very friendly. I'm hoping handling these from youngins will help a little
1f601.png

Thank you! That's what I have been reading, but I wasn't sure if it was different for winter babies. I think we will be pleased with the Wellies. Last time we had Easter Eggers, Barred Rock, and Golden Commets but they were older and not very friendly. I'm hoping handling these from youngins will help a little
1f601.png

You're welcome :) And getting them as chicks does help with the friendliness quite a bit. How cold does it normally get at night where you live?

In the dead of winter, it usually varies from low 30s to low 20s. We do get attic blasts from Canada and the Great Lakes where it gets much colder though. Tonight is supposed to be our first single digit night, but wind chills could put us at -6 degrees

G’Day from down under WrenRowan
frow.gif
Welcome!

Congratulations on your new family members, they are adorable!

Hailing from Aus, I am more qualified to advise on whether to add air conditioning or not but I see that you have already received some great advice so I will just add that I hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

welcome-byc.gif

Glad to hear you're enjoying your new little ones. If you would like to chat with other members in KY, you can find them here on your state thread: post #1

Thanks for joining us!

Hello there, and my warmest welcome to Backyard Chickens! I am so glad you decided to join the community and I do hope you will make yourself at home here! :frow

Back
Top Bottom