First EVER corn cob

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Fuffy, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Fuffy

Fuffy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Jersey, GB
    [​IMG]

My babies are 9 weeks old now
    Had their first corn cob today. Thought they had never been fed before.

The crested Cream Legbar is Creampff
    The Buff Sussex is Bonus (and I hope it's a girl!!!)

2. urbanfarmer101

urbanfarmer101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine would follow me to the ends of the earth if I had a corn cob in my hand.! We let them free range when we eat outside and throw them our cobs of sweetcorn when we are done eating. You should see the frenzy. The only down side is that we have a schnauzer that loves corn more than the chickens and he steals them from the hens. Nothing funnier than 20 chickens chasing a small black dog with a cob of corn in his mouth!

You have beautiful birds!

3. Jeeper1540

Jeeper1540 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

4. Jeeper1540

Jeeper1540 Chillin' With My Peeps

my chickens favorite is corn. any corn

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Miniature dachshund here, same scenario. He dashes in, snags the cob, dashes back out, with a mob of chickens after him.

And I just remembered I have two ears of corn in the fridge right now, couple of days old from the grocery store; forgot about 'em. Perfect for the chickens!! (I'll lock the dogs inside for the time being.)

6. GwenReaper

GwenReaper Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I have corn in my garden and if I pick some that the worms got to I give it to the chickens! They love love love it! I put about 5 ears of corn out for them and within minutes they are picked clean!!

7. 42Chickens

42Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2010
    Dillsboro, Indiana
    I have a small catering company and I save all the tomato ends, watermelon and cantalope shells, broccoli ends, spinach. Everything I cut has leftover's in a bucket. MY CHICKENS GO CRAZY for this.
    Last weekend I failed at an attemp to make Feta Goat Cheese, not once but twice. :) They loved the milkey chunks curds so much that they made a bald spot in the yard. These babies will eat anything and love it.
    When I don't have a catering I buy watermelon and corn on the cob for them. They are like chicken piranha's on corn.
    These chicks are so much fun to watch, that is why I feed them my food. Home made bread is a big treat too. I wll go to get a loaf of bread and realize that I fed it all to the
    chickens in a feeding frenzy party and now I have none for me!

Lucky chickens got my bread....................

8. urbanfarmer101

urbanfarmer101 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] So much fun with the bread. We get the same response from pizza as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by