First ever dead chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LittleHouseOnThePrairie, Nov 7, 2010.

1. LittleHouseOnThePrairie

LittleHouseOnThePrairie Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2010
    Central Iowa
    [​IMG] I went to let the flock out of the coop this morning and our rooster, Einstein, was dead! We don't know what happened...the girls are all fine and perky. I posted a couple weeks ago that the girls were pulling his crest feathers out, but that behavior had stopped and his feathers were all growing back. All seemed fine. There wasn't a mark on him...no wounds of any type. Any idea of what could have happened or what I should look for? We don't want to lose any of the others. But, like I said, they seem just fine. [​IMG] This just doesn't seem normal???

2. hchorselover

hchorselover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    [​IMG] sorry for your loss I don't know what could have happened but hopefully someone else will [​IMG]

3. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    Do you remember what position you found him in? I'm not sure if it's breed-specific, but I've read about roosters going in to cardiac arrest, and they're found laying on their backs. I'm certainly no expert, but it's an idea. I'm sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by