First ever go at raising chickens and my brooder.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Froggiesmom, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Froggiesmom

Froggiesmom Out Of The Brooder

Feb 29, 2012
    Tehachapi, CA
    My Coop
    Hi. I am new to the website and new to raising poultry in general. I have four tiny chicks...two buff orpington (sp?), and two Arecauna or Ameracauna (can't recall, but will ask). They have been named by my son as Georgia and Cynthiona (buffs), and Jill and Maggie Mae (by me, in homage to Rod Stewart-ha!).

They started out in a plastic storage bin in my bathtub, but I figured they were gonna get big fast. So I moved them to my closet in our dogs' travel kennel. I added 1/2 mesh along the bottom half so they can't sneak out and put in a couple dowels for them to play at roosting. They seem to love the larger space.

We are converting a shed to a coop and I will post pictures to that forum as we go. At the end of next month a pair of goslings arrive and they will move into this brooder/nursery and the chicks will move to their "Chick-Mansion" in my yard. In early May four guineas are due to arrive and they too will move into the brooder/nursery pen when the geese move out (they may do some time in the bin in the tub in the early weeks).

The crate is a little over four feet long and just under 3-feet wide, so plenty of room for these gals!

[​IMG]

Smokey Joe and Lucy Ann (sable and white) are checking them out. [​IMG]

My son approves of their new digs![​IMG]

And, one of the cats! We have another cat and two fish (regular Noah's Ark around here and that is fine by me!)[​IMG]

Okay, well this website is very informative and we have gotten lots of ideas (including the use of a dog kennel as a brooder!), and our Chick-Mansion pics will be posting soon!

Shannon, Kevin and Nathaniel (our son), at Froggy Bottom Farms say God Bless to all!

2. RuidosoBill

RuidosoBill New Egg

Feb 26, 2012
    Wow you are doing a great job.

I have a question. Can you use shredded paper, like from my office shredder

for the paper for the baby chickens?

then upon frequent changing, can this paper go to the garden to be tilled in to the soild,

or off to the compost first.

Thanks for everyone help.

3. LittleDarlings

LittleDarlings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Madison, GA
    Welcome!! [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Froggiesmom

Feb 29, 2012
    Tehachapi, CA
    My Coop
    I don't really know. I have heard of folks placing newspaper under a framed wire screen, that way they can just lift out the screen and replace the soiled paper. Makes sense that it could, shredded or not, and then hit the compost pile. But, like I said I am knew to it all so hopefully someone else can weigh in here. Take care!

5. Froggiesmom

Feb 29, 2012
    Tehachapi, CA
    My Coop
    Thanks much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by