First ever goose

AimToMisbehave

Songster
Jul 13, 2015
Snohomish, WA
We started a trial foster period with this majestic creature this week

We call him Ganon!

He was given to a nearby sanctuary as a gosling last June, and was hand raised by the caretakers there, so he's pretty tolerant of people (although he will charge down people who he can tell are nervous). They thought he might be a Greylag gander, but someone in the duck forums ID'd him as probably a Toulouse (maybe mix). They also had a group of khaki campbells who he attached himself to immediately, appointing himself as their bodyguard and watching over them all the time. Decent with people, unmated, and a natural flock guardian? PERFECT! Plus he's beautiful and makes this super haughty face all the time.

He came to our house in a dog crate, and the second the door opened, he stepped out, saw our flock of runners, and decided they were his. He went right up to them in a honking, flapping rush, which scared the absolute pants off of them! They ran and hid for about twenty minutes, which led to a lot of pouting and screechy honking, but they eventually came out, and he's been glued to them ever since. Honestly, I'm surprised they relaxed about him as fast as they did, but given his persistence, it was inevitable! He just loves them so much!

There has been a steady increase in the yelling though! I don't know if it's normal to yell at us every time we go outside, but his rusty gate voice cracks me up!
[Video]

Ganon Is gorgeous! Very majestic and looks like he gets along with your ducks really well.

I have two Toulouse geese and they honk and bark at me every time I walk out the door. I guess it's their way of greeting me and I love it. Your video and pictures are great.

Congratulations to you for fostering your new flock member and I hope you keep him permanently

Back
Top Bottom