First ever hatch, first PIPS! (Update, hatches starting)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Hops N Hens, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Hops N Hens

Hops N Hens New Egg

Jan 24, 2012
    Hey, everyone - new member, but been reading the forum for a couple months. We are new chicken owners - our oldest pullets just started laying about 2 weeks ago. We have Betsy (Barred Rock), Abby (Buff Orpington), Fiona (White Silkie) - all about 5 months and raised from chicks. Then we have Sugar and Opeck (formerly Opal) the 4 month old black Silkies, also raised from chicks. Finally, we have Samson and Delilah (Mille Fleur Roo and Hen) and Penelope (Gold Laced Sebright) who are all 1 year olds that we just rescued from an unfortunate home 2 weeks ago!

To my point though! We started incubating 10 eggs 20 days ago (4 BBS Silkie, 4 Partridge Silkie, 1 French Marans, 1 English Orpington). Unfortunately, on day 14 we pulled 5 eggs - 2 didn't develop properly, 3 didn't show any signs of anything - So here on day 20 we have remaining 2 BBS Silkie, 1 Partridge Silkie, 1 Marans, and the English Orp....

The Orp and the Marans have PIPPED!

As a famous DisneyWorld Commercial says: "I'm too EXCITED to sleep!"

My name is Randy, I'm a 16 year Naval Aviator, and I'm a chicken addict!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  2. BHep

BHep Overrun With Chickens

Nov 20, 2010
    Faison, NC
    [​IMG]

And WHOOT for pips. !!!!!!

3. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    AWSOME!!!!! I like the part where you rescue chickens. I want to rescue some myself !!

4. Hops N Hens

Hops N Hens New Egg

Jan 24, 2012
    Ok. Latest update:

15hrs after the first pip hatched Piper the little French Marans.

Not to be out done, as soon as Piper hatched the English Orp who pipped with her started zipping and was out in less than an hour! We are calling her Hermione.

We also woke up to pips in one of the BBS Silkie eggs and in the Partridge Silkie (no action there since the pips).

So two hatched, two pips and one last BBS Silkie who's holding out on us!

5. Fly Be Free

Fly Be Free Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    South Carolina
    Yay! Congrats!!!

6. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    aww so jealous ! Our lockdown is tonight !! cant wait too long !!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by