First ever stinkbomb - eurgh!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Gypsy07, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    My broody hen sat down on eight eggs three weeks ago. First look I got at them was just three days ago, when seven candled with something in them and one candled clear and was removed. Today was day 21, and this morning I peeped in to see if there had been any developments, only to notice a lone egg kicked out of the nest and rolled halfway across the coop. I picked it up, and it was cold and dirty, so I took it inside to rinse it off and I thought I'd just stick it in my bator since Teabag obviously wasn't wanting to sit on it any more.

So I rinsed it off and while patting it dry I thought the way it moved in my hand felt kind of funny. I gave it a gentle shake and it gurgled. I took it outside and cracked it into a bowl just to see what manner of horrors it harboured, and O!!! M!!!! G!!!!! was that the most utterly disgusting thing I have ever seen or smelled in my whole 37 and a half years on this earth! It was greeny-black and goopy, with little black lumpy bits in it.

So I took it back inside and shoved it under my bf's nose...

Me: "Hey, look at what was in Teabag's egg!" [​IMG]

Him: "AAWWWAAAUUURRRGGHHHHEEEEEEEEEUUUUGGGGHHHH!!!!!!! What the ****ing **** is that smell?!" [​IMG]

Me: (running back outside with my stinky bowl of goop): "Tee-hee-hee..." [​IMG]

Aaaahhhh, my very first Rotten Stinking Black Egg Of Death.

Feels like I've just gone through some serious chicken-keeping rite of passage today.

[​IMG]

Edited to add: And the other six eggs are doing nothing interesting yet...

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  2. StrayMagnet

StrayMagnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    W. Georgia
    ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww lol

3. okiedrifter

okiedrifter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    [​IMG] [​IMG] I picked up my first one to candle it and the darn thing exploded in my hand and face [​IMG] talk about running for the water hose outside...it was Nasty..... [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  4. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

now.. imagine working for a commercial hatchery.. pulling out a rack of several thousand eggs and having a 30 or more of those pop at once...

yup.. been there.. done that!

5. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    Quote:Oh nasty! I would be retching for days from the smell.

6. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    i've never had one that bad, but i will say, the ones that i have had that were far along didn't smell anything like i expected them to [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

YECKKkkkkkkkkkk. [​IMG]

8. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    You have my utmost admiration for being able to stomach the smell long enough to put it under the bf's nose!!
    ewwwwwwwwwww!

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Eww [​IMG] We had one that exploded several wks ago. It's got to be the worst smell in the world [​IMG]

10. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    You're not kidding they smell!!!!!! The worst smell in the world! I had a hen sitting on eggs in the coop in the backyard and I was in the front of the house and smelled this disgusting, vile smell. Turned out one of her eggs had exploded. I never knew you'd be able to smell it from that distance away. I can't imagine having one of those things blow up in your face! Ugh, yuck, vomit!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by