First fall--and first big coop cleaning

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by justlearning, Sep 13, 2011.

1. justlearning

justlearning Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    We have been using the deep litter method. I know I need to scoop it all out and redo before winter. I have a few questions before I attempt this. 1)What is the best way to clean the coop from top to bottom. I have linoleum under the pine shavings. 2)Do I use bleach water or is vinegar water sufficient? 3) Can I put the pine shavings/poop directly into my garden this fall or do I need to wait until spring? I am planning on putting all our leaves down on the floor for winter. We have a ton--and no leaf pick-up and really no good place to store them.

2. BrokenRoadFarm

BrokenRoadFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    North Central NC
    I too will be doing this for the first time...I plan to remove all of the bedding, spray it down with a bleach solution (we don't have linoleum, just the plywood on the floor), sprinkle more poultry and garden dust that we get from Tractor Supply, then put new shavings down. As far as I know, that is the best way to do it. Good luck! Oh, and make sure you wear some kind of dust mask when cleaning the old shavings out - have heard it can cause health problems for us humans if we don't. I am not taking any chances!! [​IMG]

3. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    I clean out my coop with an old coal shovel. I do not wipe every surface down with any kind of bleach solution. I just clear out all the old litter and replace with fresh pine shavings. It's a chicken coop, not a hospital room. I guess the leaves would be OK to use, as long as they are not WET. I know if I rake a pile of leaves in my yard, they are usually damp. Myself, I would combine the leaves with the old litter in a compost heap for use in the garden later, and just use fresh pine shavings in the coop. And finally yes, definently use a dust mask when cleaning out the coop. Your lungs will thankyou later.
    Jack

4. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    i also think pine shavings would be cleaner ....also leaves can have bugs and maybe mold in them...

5. kevinhannan

kevinhannan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Can I be a newbie and just clear my head that pine wood dust (not shavings)
    is not bad for the birds? It's just that I'm about to ask the local wood yard
    for their waste and thought I might have to sift it first....?

Many thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by