First "flipper" peachick of the year

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Steve_of_sandspoultry, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

We have hatched about 30+ this year and all have been doing great, no issues what so ever. Last night one hatched and when I checked this morning and put it in the brooder it is a flipper. It's an extra large chick..... I wonder if that has anything to do with it? Longer legs etc. I stopped turning 5 eggs on Thursday and the other 4 hatched Saturday, Ours usually hatch on day 27 since our incubator runs closer to 100F. Maybe this afternoon it will be up and running around but I doubt it. [​IMG]

Steve

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

You can try putting it in a heavy drinking glass with non slip grip on the inside bottom....... maybe it will straighten out...

3. leepsy

leepsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    North Florida
    OK....I'll bite. Probably a dumb question but what's a flipper? [​IMG]

4. Steve_of_sandspoultry

A chick that can't stand up and falls over. alot of times they fall over backwards - flipper. It was worse this afternoon. To bad I would have liked to see it grow out it was a 1/3 bigger than the other chicks that have hatched out this year. [​IMG]

Steve

5. leepsy

leepsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    North Florida
    That is pretty obviously now that I think about it. I'm sorry about the chick but is there anything you can do about it? I mean I know with chickens sometimes some behaviors are corrected with supplementing with certain vitamins. I'm just curious in case I ever get the chance to have peafowl.

6. Phage

Phage Mad Scientist Premium Member

Aug 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    I have seen that in really large chicken chicks that have huge yolk sacs, and when the yolk gets absorbed they are just fine [​IMG]

7. One Acre Wonder Farm

One Acre Wonder Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2009
    Vermont
    Quote:this method has worked wonders for me with chicks and poults...

8. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Quote:You can try different methods - the glass that people have mentioned, or prop them up. Myself I don't help them, we use the only the strong survive method and after awhile you can see the difference in your flocks.

Steve

9. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:You can try different methods - the glass that people have mentioned, or prop them up. Myself I don't help them, we use the only the strong survive method and after awhile you can see the difference in your flocks.

Steve

Yes thats one reason I dont help chicks out of the eggs, have no proof , but think those chicks that were help out, could pass those weak genes to there offspring. Just like some breeds were they never hatch young, then they produce non broody offspring.

10. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve

Yes thats one reason I dont help chicks out of the eggs, have no proof , but think those chicks that were help out, could pass those weak genes to there offspring. Just like some breeds were they never hatch young, then they produce non broody offspring.

Same here on helping them out of the eggs, It may seem cruel and heartless but it helps in the long run. Nobody likes to cull.

Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by