First Flock Breeds?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Bessetti, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Bessetti

Bessetti Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2014
    Vermont
    Hey all, I'm new here (obviously).

I just ordered my first batch of chicks from Murray Mcmurray Hatchery due to arrive in April 2015.

I did a LOT of research before I chose which breeds I wanted, and I just wanted some opinions on if you think my flock will work together well from people who actually have these breeds of birds.

There is a very small child in the family, so it is ESSENTIAL that they are docile birds. Also, I don't want any breeds that are typically bullies in my coop. Also, I live in Vermont, so they must be cold hardy.

What we have ordered:
    5 Black Australorps
    2 Buff Orpingtons
    3 Speckled Sussex
    2 dark Brahma
    1 light Brahma
    2 White Orpington
    1 "Free" Rare Exotic Chick

Opinions would be great! We ordered all hens but are definitely prepared for some Roos, we are hoping the free rare exotic will be a (friendly) roo. It's so nice to finally join, I feel like I've been reading posts forever and never able to comment! Thanks in advance.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the flock, I'm not familiar with some of the breeds on your list but, even among docile breeds it's not unusual to find some that are not! Raising them from day old or so, you have the opportunity to socialize with them which can make a difference as they mature. You will also be in position to see who doesn't make the grade (bully or very aggressive) early and decide what to do about it.

How old is your child? Children by virtue of being so close to the ground are usually the ones that get attacked.

3. Bessetti

Nov 2, 2014
    Vermont
    Thank you! We are from a farming community and have multiple large farms willing to take any "nasty" birds off our hands. Hopefully since we are raising them from so little there won't be too many mean birds!

Currently he is not even a year, so he definitely won't be near the chickens until he is MUCH older, But I work with a 6 year old who comes over daily and would be around them.

4. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

You picked perfect breeds!! Orpingtons and australorps are especially friendly and affectionate. They will sleep in your lap all day and are cold hardy. The other breeds you chose are also cold hardy and generally very docile too. Just make sure to tame all of them from the start.

Good luck with them!

5. Bessetti

Nov 2, 2014
    Vermont
    Thanks so much Mountain Peeps! Do you have any advice on how to tame them?

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  7. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    When they first arrive only talk to them. I've found that taping yourself like on a phone or ipod and then playing it for the babies helps them get familiar with your voice. After about a day or two hold and cuddle them...a lot! Once they reach the crazy age in which they are always running around and such you can take them outside and train them to follow you. Keep cuddling them. Then at week 8 or 10 you can hand feed them treats.

Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I've had all of these breeds at one time or another over the past 50 years (still have Black Australorps and Buff Orpingtons), so I'll give you my take on them.

These breeds are all very calm and gentle (my children made lap pets of all of these breeds), and they will work very well together as a flock.

Black Australorps = Extremely hardy in both heat and cold, very calm and gentle, and the best layers on your list, typically laying 5 (occasionally 6) large, brown eggs hen per week.
    Buff and White Orpingtons = Very cold hardy, very friendly and gentle, and good layers of large brown eggs (typically 3, occasionally 4, per hen per week).
    Speckled Sussex = Very cold hardy, very friendly and inquisitive, and good layers of large, brown eggs (typically 3, occasionally 4, per hen per week).
    Dark and Light Brahmas = Very cold hardy, gentle giants, and good layers of brown eggs (typically 3, occasionally 4, per hen per week), although their eggs tend to run slightly smaller than the other breeds on your list.
    " Rare Exotic Chick" = Obviously I cannot comment on this one since I don't know what kind of chick you will get.

Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    P.S. Mountain Peeps has given you some very good advice on how to tame your birds.

10. Bessetti

Nov 2, 2014
    Vermont

That is extremely helpful- thank you so much! I'm so glad to have finally joined this community! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by