First Flock: EE or Americauna? Boy or girl? Help!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by zigmommy, Sep 30, 2013.

1. zigmommy

zigmommy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2013
    I bought 10 chickens from my neighbor a little over a week ago. She ordered and hatched them for a friend that decided at the last minute he didn't want them. She said they were Americaunas but from looking around here I'm thinking they're actually EE's, yes?

We brought 10 home on the 21st (all hens, supposedly) and today she brought over the one she thinks is the 1 rooster they ordered. He's getting picked on pretty mercilessly by a few of the bossier hens. Do I have it backwards? Are one of my girls actually a guy or are they just being mean because he's a newcomer? Is he even a HE?

I attached pics, one is of the first 10 the day we brought them home, the one with the white and black head next to the waterer is the one we think is the rooster and is being picked on right now. The one on the ground with the golden brown and black is the meanie.

Help!? Suggestions?? Should I keep the black and white headed one separate for now or will they work it out themselves?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

As you suspected they are Easter Eggers, the reason the silver colored rooster is being bullied could be because he is a lower ranked rooster. In the last picture the one on the left is a rooster as well, I'm not sure about the other one. Closer individual pictures would help as well. :)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  3. zigmommy

Sep 22, 2013
    Do you think the silver headed one is, in fact, a rooster though? Should I keep him separate or will they resolve it themselves?

4. Veer67

Yep the silver one is a rooster, he has the common red patch on his shoulder. I've never had roosters before so I won't be able to give you much information but I if the fights get serious (like a wound or bleeding) I would separate them.

5. zigmommy

Sep 22, 2013
    Thank you!!

I had my oldest come out and help me get some more pics of them all more closely. Think there are any more roosters besides those two?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    In your first picture, above the feeder, I see two definite roos, a possible third. The rest are female.

1 person likes this.
  7. Veer67

x2 I agree.

8. zigmommy

Sep 22, 2013
    Thanks guys, now that you point them out, I don't know how I didn't see it myself!! We weren't sure if we were going to venture into meat chickens so soon (just moved cross-country and bought a house) but 3, possibly 4 roosters just made up my mind. ;)

The silver one we named Henry VIII and I'm already in love with him. He stays, for sure. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by