First Flock in SoCal

Summerfield

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2021
Thousand Oaks, CA
Hi BYC Community. Been reading so many of your posts getting started, so thank you for all the info I've received to far. Myself, my partner, and 12 yo son, have embarked on having a small flock in our suburban backyard and so far we're loving it. We have three 3.5-week old chicks currently in a brooder (a Buff Orp, Barred Rock, and Easter Egger), who take daily field trips outside. They are chirping and antsy to be outside all the time now that it's getting warmer (consistently mid 70s in SoCal right now, nights are upper 40s). We were lucky to get a coop form a neighbor which came with the adoption of her last chicken, Annie (a 4yo RIR). Annie is really sweet, but she is very lonely. She free ranges our backyard which helps, but even with us out there a couple hours a day - it just isn't the same as a flock. Looking to integrate the chicks soon to hopefully give her some company. I've been reading in BYC forums about success stories with integrating early. Still nervous about it considering all the official material says wait until chicks are 16 weeks, so any feedback or advice is welcome! Anyway, I'm sure we'll be posting often, looking for help. Some pics attached of our budding flock!

Attachments

• tempImageTrJArp.png
    tempImageTrJArp.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7321.jpg
    IMG_7321.jpg
    491.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7364.jpg
    IMG_7364.jpg
    707.5 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom