1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First flock ..they are so flocking cute!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by NiNjAChIkEnZzZ, Jan 6, 2017.

1. NiNjAChIkEnZzZ

NiNjAChIkEnZzZ New Egg

Jan 5, 2017
    New Braunfels TX
    So I got (what I think) is a nice mixture of pullets for my first flock. One leghorn (snowball) one australorp (snookie) one RIR (ginger) one americana (booger) and two barred rocks (B~rock and rocksteady). They all seem to be healthy lively little critters. So for starters, pasty butt? Thats not just a little poultry brew stuck to the chickends right? More like a full on collection of dingleberries? And when can u give them yogurt? And lastly what age can I put them outside with or without supplemental heat?

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Welcome to BYC!

Pasty butt is basically when poop has clogged the vent. It depends on how severe your chick has it, sometimes it can be wiped off and other times it requires more.

What is the weather like where you are located? How old are the chicks, what breed and are they feathered in yet? What kind of set up do you have for them outside?

Glad you joined us!

1 person likes this.
  3. TheKindaFarmGal

May 4, 2016
    Oh, and the yogurt! It can cause diarrhea in chickens and even lead to death, so I advise staying away from it. A little now and then probably won't hurt, but it shouldn't be a common item of your chickens' diet.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our flock! You ask some great questions. Many can be answered within the articles in this link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-and-raising-chicks
    In terms of being outside without heat....I see you live in TX. If you lived in Minnesota during this time of year I'd have a different answer. The generic answer is when your chicks are fully feathered - usually about 4-5 weeks. That is provided that have a cozy coop. The pasty butt issue - the true condition of pasty butt can be fatal - it is when the vent is blocked by dried poop and the chick can no longer excrete waste. The cure - holding the rear end of the chick in a bowl of warm water until the dried poop loosens and falls away, thus clearing the vent. Here's a link to old threads that discuss pasty butt that will provide more (much more) than you ever wanted to know: https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=pasty+butt
    Finally, here are some links that discuss the age at which yogurt is typically given: https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=yogurt+age
    Best wishes to you and your flock and thanks for joining BYC!!!

5. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    Hi, welcome to Backyard Chickens. Looks like you've already gotten some great advice.

6. NiNjAChIkEnZzZ

NiNjAChIkEnZzZ New Egg

Jan 5, 2017
    New Braunfels TX
    Thekindafarmgirl , they are lil bitty babies ..day olds (two days today). No feathers ... Coop is in the the works ... and thx redsox ill have to check thise links out ... We usually dont get terribly cold in south texas but its 29 degrees out today (itll be 70 degrees by monday) ... I just want ALL my nuggets to grow up healthy :)

7. TheKindaFarmGal

May 4, 2016
    When they are fully feathered they should be able to go outside in the coop. So, around 6 weeks, but it depends. What breed are they? Some breeds are more cold hardy than others.

8. NiNjAChIkEnZzZ

NiNjAChIkEnZzZ New Egg

Jan 5, 2017
    New Braunfels TX
    1 white leghorn
    1 black australorp
    1 RIR
    1 americana
    2 barred rocks

9. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Good advice from redsoxs (as usual!). Hope you enjoy your little nuggets and if you have any questions, you can always post. The Search box in the upper left corner is great for finding information too.

It's nice to have you here!

10. TheKindaFarmGal

May 4, 2016
    Nice flock! Some of those aren't so suited to the cold, but they should be ok once they're feathered out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by