First Flock

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by JackInCT, Jun 14, 2011.

1. JackInCT

JackInCT Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2011
    CT
    Hello, all.

I plan to buy four chicks next month, my first, discounting the dozen pet chickens "I" had as a kid. I'm (newly) located in Eastern Connecticut in my first house (and hope-to-be homestead). I'm open to most cold-hardy breeds; I'll be looking to buy locally some Orpington or Red Island Red chicks (or Chanteclers if I found them!) I'd prefer my chickens to be better egg-producers than meat-producers (since my household is vegetarian), but I'm prioritizing calm, hardy breeds over productive ones and they seem to be the dual-purpose birds with New England names. My chickens will be free-ranged unless local predators prove to be a serious problem. I've read Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens, as well as the poultry sections of all my "use your land properly" type books, but expect to have a lot of questions for which the BYC forum and archives will be invaluable.

I'd like to have more than four birds, but right now that's the amount of coop I can afford. (I put my coop up in my profile; I hope that's standard practice?) I plan to keep guineas as well, to aid in pest control, particularly ticks, on my 5+ acres. I am just now finally getting into the gardening and backyard animal-keeping I've been looking forward to for a long time, and I'm glad BYC is here for support in my poultry endeavors.

So- hi again! Thanks for the impressive archives already in place here and for the future help I know I can count on. I hope to return the favor in a while to some other newcomers.

2. FiveAcres

FiveAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    White, GA
    You are definitely in the right place...there is a wealth of knowledge just a question away!!! Welcome to BYC!!

3. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia,CA and [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Patience

Patience Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2011
    Hi JackInCT from a fellow newbie! [​IMG]

5. dreamer5577

dreamer5577 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:agreed. 100%

6. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    [​IMG]

7. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

9. Chickencoop1996

Chickencoop1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    southern nh
    [​IMG]

10. Urban Chaos

Urban Chaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2011
    Austin
    [​IMG]

you will have such a wonderful time with your birds, I know my family has enjoyed them much more than we thought possible.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by