First foot injury: advice, please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by alicek4, Nov 15, 2013.

1. alicek4

alicek4 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2012
    I have only been in this 18 months and this is my first injury.
    I came home and my dog led me, whining and excited, to a boat propped up next to the barn (Hooray for Anthony the Wonder Dog! I never would have found them if he hadn't told me where they were). Beneath the boat was rolls of fencing, and 2 hens had squirmed in and were helplessly trapped. I was at work all day and they free range, so I have no idea how long they were there. One is fine; the others leg was very tightly caught when I found her and she will not stand on it at all.
    I have her in a crate and I assume she'll either eventually stand on it or she won't. My questions are: How long do I allow Licorice (my 12 year old's favorite, BTW) rest and convalesce before deciding her leg will not heal? And -- if it DOES heal enough for her to walk, but she limps or drags her foot, will the other Sister Wives then pick on her? Or is that another one of those things that could go either way, and you have to just wait and see?
    If anyone has dealt with this kind of thing I would appreciate your input. TIA.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Does the leg seem broken (feel it and see how she reacts), or just sore? Leg injuries often take a long time to heal, but eventually, they almost always do. I have a cockerel that must have (I didn't see it happen) banged his leg into a roost/landed on it wrong; the result was a leg that was paralyzed for three days and then was able to be moved normally. It has gotten better, but over a month after the injury, he still doesn't use it right--he can move it, but it is weak and it seems to hurt him. Other than that, though, he acts normal, and even tries (they don't cooperate) to mate hens when given the chance. At night, he roosts one-legged. I expect that if/when Licorice's leg heals enough that she can walk around, she'll still be able to live a normal life with the other hens.

1 person likes this.
  3. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Poor thing. I wonder if something was after them, to cause them to hide and scared enough to get into fence? Does the hens leg appear to be OK? Did it get cut on the fence? Was the old fence rusty? Here is a useful link for poultry care - scroll down to pain killers that are OK for chickens. https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry Make sure she can get to feed and water. She may be in shock so, you might want to make a mash mix to feed her (mashed up hard boiled egg, a little plain reg yogurt, add some Gatorade and mix in some feed) Hope she gets feeling better.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. alicek4

Jul 13, 2012
    She can move it, so I am hopeful. Thanks, that makes me feel better already. My fingers are crossed....

5. alicek4

Jul 13, 2012
    I wonder if there was a predator, also because another hen was MIA until sunset, and Anthony can't be everywhere at once ( we have 100 acres). You all rock :).

6. alicek4

Jul 13, 2012
    I checked her again -- the foot is not cut (the fence was rusty, though) and she is moving it. I cannot tell if it is broken but there is swelling, not too bad ( I am an RN and an exercise physiologist but am clueless with hens!!). Best news -- she ate something while I was there. I caved and brought her in, even though it is a mild night. It will make me feel better anyway, lol.
    I love and appreciate you all :)

7. alicek4

Jul 13, 2012
    I wanted to let you know that after 2 days in the crate she is walking normally and back with the Sister Wives. Thanks so much again for your help and helping to calm me down.

8. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Glad she is doing Well ! You are lucky to have a great guard dog for your hens. [​IMG]

9. alicek4

Jul 13, 2012
    have been teased endlessly -- "Lassie, are the hens in the well???"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by