First Free Range today (Lots of Pictures)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Cyberous, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Cyberous

Cyberous Chillin' With My Peeps

I picked up these two adoptees 12 days ago, RIR and Redstar (I think) They have been real antsy whenever I come to the coop looking like they want to get out.

Last night I did a search on this forum and found the best way of training your chickens to free range is let them out 2 hours prior to sunset since they will instincutally want to come home to roost.

I locked the Dogs on the deck and the cats inside, crossed my fingers and opened the door.

They immediately started scratching in an area I just tranplanted a tree, They were there for 10 minutes or so then started to wander.

After about an hour of wandering around they started to walk home,.. it was a proud moment for me!

Hope you enjoy the photos!

Don

Woot,.. we are FREE!!!
    [​IMG]

YUM BUGS AND STUFF
    [​IMG]

Whats over here?
    [​IMG]

Where are we?
    [​IMG]

Heading Home!
    [​IMG]

Home at last!

[​IMG]

2. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    [​IMG] Your chickens are going to be soooo happy! I wish so bad that I could do this, but we have hawks all over the place! Not to mention my two weinerschnappers and the cat. [​IMG]

You have a gorgeous view too.

3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

They certainly will be happy! What a beautiful place you have! And the view, fabulous!! [​IMG]

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Great pics. Thanks for sharing! [​IMG]
    I don't always know where my free range chickens wander during the day, but they are all back at the coop come dusk. Happy chickens.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  5. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Wow, your flower beds are great!!
    Are they very high maintenience?
    Great view too!

6. Cyberous

Should I be concerned with Hawks on full sized chickens?

We have a few but not too many.

Thanks for the kind words,.. the planters are no problem. I worked in a commercial nursery a few years back so I was able to get a few truck loads of potting soil so maint is very very low as weeds pull out easily and they are on timed sprinklers. However, last year I converted three of the six to water gardens, containing lotus and water lillies [​IMG]

Don

7. b'hamPeeps

b'hamPeeps Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2009
    Wow! Looks like some lucky clucks.

Can you post a couple pics of your raised beds? They look like cool designs.

8. Dr.Doorlock

Dr.Doorlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Garland, Texas
    Even here in the city I worry about hawks. I'm troubling over letting the girls out in the back yard. They have lots of room in their run and coop. I would have to clip their wings and keep the dogs inside while they tear up my raised gardens. Even with all the problems, I still want to give them that freedom sometime.

9. Cyberous

Here is a picture from last year, the poly bag is a temp "green" house to get the Lotus and Thai Basil started.

[​IMG]
    I will take some better photos tomorrow.

Don

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  10. Cyberous

Oh yea,.. I found more photos.

Remember the three on the out side are now water gardens.

Don
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by