First frost

JakRat

Songster
10 Years
Apr 22, 2009
Dover
Hello,
It is supposed to frost tonight, so I semi winter proofed my coop. I put thick painters drop cloth on the side of the coop that gets all the wind ( edge of a field) and up on top where the girls like to sleep right next to the chicken wire. I left their heat lamp on and I put a therm. in there to make sure that it does not get to hot. When I went and checked on it an hour ago it was at 72 degrees... is it ok that I am doing this? with the wind chill and humidity I was worried about them getting cold/sick and frost bite when the weather gets colder. Should i just not do this, or am I spoiling my birds to much.

Turn off the heat lamp and relax....

We've had snow and ice and all kinds of nasty cold things this last week, I have no heat in my coop and a window still open... (got to board that up) but they're fine... I have one that sleeps right up against the glass of one window - she has a nice down comforter!
big_smile.png

The whole south end of my coop is open. But I live in Oklahoma. Chickens can handle colder weather than a lot of people think. Breeds like Orps and Wyandottes are more cold hardy than most other breeds. White egg layers and some games are less cold hardy.

Thanks! I think I will leave the plastic up but turn the lamp off for now. I am also worried that the lamp will mess with their egg cycles. also i was worried that they were cold because they all sleep huddled up even when it is 55 out..

Last edited:
Quote:
They do like to sleep next to each other, I only have a couple that prefer to be alone, and they do so even in this freezing cold. We've barely gone over freezing since Friday. Saturday night was our coldest so far, we were down to 16

Last edited:
woah! geez I must spoil them or something... I guess its because this is my first winter with chickens and I want it to be a good one!

Back
Top Bottom