first frosts

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by L*A*G*, Oct 19, 2009.

1. L*A*G*

L*A*G* Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    we got our first frost over here in ga this morning. brrrrrrrrrr

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    We did too, and I forgot to cover my one and only strawberry plant [​IMG] So it's probably a goner...

3. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

Yup, we had our first frost, too.

4. Ang

Ang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    We had ours last week sometime. Been frosty nearly every morning since.

5. FluffyColor

FluffyColor Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Queens, NY
    I had a frost yesterday.[​IMG] I guess that's a sign my favorite season's on the way! [​IMG]

6. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

Here too.. had to bury the berries [​IMG]
    with straw of course... and the carrots, parsnips & lettuce!

7. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Yeah, I had to dig up the sweet potatoes. Dang they just needed another week or too. They're too small [​IMG] Well- at least they won't be woody [​IMG]

8. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:GASP!!!
    I didn't dig mine... I guess I better head out there today... what is woody???

9. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    L*A*G* :

we got our first frost over here in ga this morning. brrrrrrrrrr

Do you know that it was COLDER where you live yesterday morning than where I live yesterday morning? I know that the deep south kinda shuts down when you get an inch of snow--no snow moving equipment, I think. We just stock up and look forward to a few days at home when we get a blizzard! [​IMG] We're seeing A LOT of trees with their leaves gone---wasn't happening for the last few VERY WARM years. Our average frost was supposed to be Oct. 19th--had it on t he 12th, instead. We just had a week of typical winter weather last week--highs in the 40's. Looks like we'll be killing lots of flies this winter with extreme cold---glad I have all of my hay in the loft!!​

10. L*A*G*

L*A*G* Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    Quote:Do you know that it was COLDER where you live yesterday morning than where I live yesterday morning? I know that the deep south kinda shuts down when you get an inch of snow--no snow moving equipment, I think. We just stock up and look forward to a few days at home when we get a blizzard! [​IMG] We're seeing A LOT of trees with their leaves gone---wasn't happening for the last few VERY WARM years. Our average frost was supposed to be Oct. 19th--had it on t he 12th, instead. We just had a week of typical winter weather last week--highs in the 40's. Looks like we'll be killing lots of flies this winter with extreme cold---glad I have all of my hay in the loft!!

actually we got 3 inches of snow last year for the first time in a LONG time.
    winter are boring here. it dosen't get cold enough to kill the insects but just to kill everything that is grenn and make it smell like catapillars! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by