1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First giant anta now tiny evil ants!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Jesusfreak101, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Jesusfreak101

Jesusfreak101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    Is there a poison thats safe to use around children, chickens and cats? I went into my garden and got bitten and dang it hurts any ideals please!! Thank you!!!

2. tdepointe

tdepointe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2015
    Brooklyn, Connecticut
    I would suggest a Borax and sugar in a jar with wholes in the lid. The jar would keep both chickens and cats out.
    Borax is safe, is a boron mineral and salt that’s mined directly from the ground.
    It is NOT boric acid which is toxic. Boric acid is produced when borax is reacted with another acid (like sulfuric or hydrochloric acid). The result is an acid structure (pH of 5.0), rather than alkaline, as borax is (9.3 pH).

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  3. Jesusfreak101

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    Ok and where do you find it i dont believe i have ever seen it?

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

In the laundry detergent section of Wal~mart.

5. Jesusfreak101

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    Mmm ok didnt know that i look thank you very much. Those little ants and big ants are evil. They come back each time and the chickens dont eat them so i try this and pray it works. Between my little girl and them biting us i prefer to be rid of them.

6. tdepointe

tdepointe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2015
    Brooklyn, Connecticut
    Hear in Connecticut the Borax was 3.48 at Walmart. I bought some more yesterday. I always have some on hand, it is good for a lot of thing around the house and property.

7. copper2

copper2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2015
    Searching for Bigfoot
    Cinnamon repels them, has been more affective for me, than cornmeal, homemade lemon oil thing?, coffee grounds, and sugar( sugar is supposed to grow a fungus that is toxic to them, or they don't like it in there nest I'm not sure exactly what it does)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by