1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First Goose Egg!!! **Leap Year Goslings!!!! (pics pg. 4)***

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Sean S., Jan 28, 2012.

1. Sean S.

Sean S. Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2011
    Sidney, NY
    Came home this afternoon after working, and found our first goose egg. [​IMG]

It was outside in the pen with the yearling sebastopols. We have two pairs of curly whites from Metzers Hatcheries, they were born in March of 2011. Also we have 3 Saddlebacks form Nikki at Hat Trick Silkies, a smooth male and female, and a curly female. they were born in April, 2011. The whites and the male saddleback have been breeding for a couple of weeks now, and the last couple of days the smooth saddleback girl has been in on the action as well.

I cracked the egg open to see if it looked fertile, and I could see a defined ring around the center of the embrio in the yoke. [​IMG]

They have made a couple of big nests in the straw in the coop also. Must be the first one just fell out, whoops!!!

Our older Emdens that are in a diffrent coop and run have not really shown any intrest in breeding yet. Must be they are not letting the mild winter weather fool them!

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  2. poultry09

poultry09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2011
    Rainier, Oregon
    congrats on getting your first egg.

I have 8 geese and my grey smoth breasted gander is starting to get aggressive and I have caught him breeding my white smoth breasted sebbie but I think that my white sebbie is to young to start laying( she is 9-10 months old I think)but my two American buff females are 3years old and u got them in spring of 2011 and I have never gotten any eggs from them don't know why?

but any how congrats on you goose egg

3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Congratulations!

We have three Sebastopols that were born last April from Holderead's breeding stock a local woman purchased several years ago. i did not vent sex them as hatchlings but based on color, i think we have a male and two females. i've been wondering if they will breed this season, since they are so young. i have not seen any mating activity. These are our first geese, so very excited about getting babies some day.

4. Sean S.

Apr 1, 2011
    Sidney, NY
    Just found today they have laid 3 eggs in one of the nests inside of the coop. She had them so well covered up with straw that I didn't see them yesterday. My wife looked in on them earlier today and one of the white girls was in siting on the nest. After she left and covered the nest we looked and their was 3 eggs!

From what I have read on here I should probably take them for a while, but we would like to let them have a try to hatch a clutch if they will. Any advise is welcome as we are new to geese!

I took some pics today, so I will get them up tomorrow.

BTW, thanks poultry09, and enchanted sunrise!:D

5. poultry09

Dec 1, 2011
    Rainier, Oregon
    no problem i would love to see some pictures of the eggs and the geese[​IMG]. what breed did you say they wher?

and congrats on findinf even more eggs it makes me excited[​IMG] to know that geese are starting to lay eggs again and i know i should start looking for some of my own goose eggs in the coop

6. Sean S.

Apr 1, 2011
    Sidney, NY
    The sebbies are laying now. I also have embdens, that I got last summer, five adults that are 2-3 years old, and 2 that were hatched last spring. They are not showing any intrest yet.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  7. poultry09

Dec 1, 2011
    Rainier, Oregon
    well congrats on the eggs[​IMG]

last year i had around 20 ducks, 20 chickens and 2 geese. i never got a single goose egg from my two 2 year old (at that time) American buff females and maybe 5 dozen chicken eggs from 13 hens and around 10 dozen ducks eggs from 15 hens. my egg production is crappy i don't know why? i feed them right keep the nest boxes clean and try to keep them as stress-free as possible

i dont understand [​IMG]it is very very frustrating [​IMG]

8. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Congratulations on your egg [​IMG] It seems a few members are off to an early start with their breeding season,

9. Congrats on your first goose egg . . . I wish mine would start laying! Only one pair is going to be 2 this year, so I know it is a long shot, but I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.

10. Sean S.

Apr 1, 2011
    Sidney, NY
    The Sebbies

[​IMG]
    White Goose and Saddleback Gander

[​IMG]
    Having a goose talk!

[​IMG]
    White Gander

[​IMG]
    Smooth SB Goose

[​IMG]
    Show off!

[​IMG]
    White Gander

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Come on guys, not in front of the camera!!!

[​IMG]
    SB Gander

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by