First goose egg today!! Question?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by BarredRockGirls, Feb 26, 2014.

1. BarredRockGirls

BarredRockGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Ohio
    Yay!! She laid it right by the porch though? Not in the coop .. Will she always lay them there? I though she would lay them in the coop . I have 2 geese . One I'm sure now is a female -Lady and the other ... Still waiting. Will they lay in the same area?
    They share a coop w ducks and chickens. So I can see she wanted quiet and privacy by the porch ...

2. BarredRockGirls

Mar 6, 2013
    Ohio
    [​IMG]

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Missy my goose decided to lay her first egg of this year in the duck house so I just took it out and put it into her house she laid the second one this morning in her house, Maybe if you can give your geese a little partitioned nest area all to them selves she may lay in there and be sure to put the egg where you want her to lay. Congrats on the first egg too.

4. RURU

RURU Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    Geese do not like any other kind of bird besides geese when breeding or laying! Take Miss Lydia's advise and separate them because if you have ganders they will pick on ducks and chickens terrible during the breeding season!!!

5. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    When my goose was on the nest, just to lay an egg, my gander made every duck and chicken walk about 10 feet around the nest, it was so funny to watch him.

6. bravevline

bravevline Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2013
    like the above posters have said, you can put the egg in a desired nesting area that she can easily find. to check the gender of the other one, wait till you get more eggs as the first is usually not fertile. them crack one and if you have a gander-a male goose-the egg will haveva big white dot on the top of its yolk. you cant miss it.

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    My gander even wants ME to walk 10 foot around his goose. They are so funny.

8. BarredRockGirls

Mar 6, 2013
    Ohio
    Thanks everyone . Yesturday I replaced the egg w a golf ball cuz while I wish she would lay in the coop if she's going to lay anywhere else atleast it's BESIDE the house and not in the woods . So if that's where she's comfy fine . It was between my a/c unit and my house ... Haha. Weird but whatever.
    The other goose ( or my suspious might be gander ) has yet to lay one so verdict is still out on that one ... She/he has always been suspious... And the ducks are gettin gnawed up so idk .. We shall see .

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I don't know if a golf ball would inspire my goose since they are so tiny compared to a goose egg but hey worth the try. I'm going to leave some of her eggs in her house till I know she is for sure laying in there. I want ot make sure if she goes broody she will do it inside her house not outside where she wouldn't be protected. And BarredRockGirls, are you seeing anything that looks like mating? If you don't see it you should be able to hear the gander they are pretty vocal about their mating.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  10. BarredRockGirls

Mar 6, 2013
    Ohio
    No I don't hear anything . Except at night in the coop there's ruckus sometimes .... Idk I'm not in there and when I go look they all stop and stare at me like WHAT?
    A golf ball was all I had I have never had geese so I didn't know . My ducks and chickens came pre sexed from Meyer I knew I could take their eggs no worries . W the geese it's confusing! Haha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by