First goose egg!!!

Who do you think laid the egg? and...

• The ducks (lol)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The goose from the newer pair

• The big old goose/gander from the initial goose purchase (the egg is fertilized ready to be hatched)

• The ducks (lol) (the egg is fertilized ready to be hatched!)

• The goose from the newer pair (the egg is fertilized ready to be hatched!)

• It was the chickens, sure some chicken you got there!

• Total voters

Rondack

Crowing
6 Years
Feb 21, 2015
Upstate NY
Today I got my first goose egg from my Toulouse!
IMG-3255.JPG

So here is the thing.

Back in the day (around 2017) I bought a nice pair of Toulouse geese and a pair of Swedish ducks, then, one of them (geese) was snatched by a predator... (time passes)
Around July 2020 I got more ducks and more geese... Now I have a pair of geese, an older goose/gander, a bunch of ducks (one of them from the first pair) and.... An EGG in the coop!

So the question is: who laid it and is it fertilized?
What to you think?

EveLa

Chirping
Nov 14, 2020
My Grey has laid 6 eggs so far and I have a pair of toulouse but she hasn't laid anything, I am hoping and praying I get a couple of goslings lol, but they don't tend to lay everyday, its more like 2-3 days so give them time and don't mess with her nest lol

EveLa

Chirping
Nov 14, 2020
Could I just candle the egg?
My Grey has laid 6 eggs so far and I have a pair of toulouse but she hasn't laid anything, I am hoping and praying I get a couple of goslings lol, but they don't tend to lay everyday, its more like 2-3 days so give them time and don't mess with her nest lol

Dec 30, 2020
Pacific Northwest
My Brecon Buff laid 12 eggs. Only 3 of the 12 (the ones I kept to eat for breakfast) I noticed were fertile. I did give 4 away to neighbors to eat but I never knew if those were fertile also. So out of the 8 I kept, less than half were fertilized. If I understand this correctly, some incubation time has to pass in order to candle the egg to see if it's fertilized. An embryo has to begin forming. I am a little new to goose laying and the process that entails. Is your goose sitting?

Good luck and watch out for the golden goose egg:p

Rondack

Crowing
6 Years
Feb 21, 2015
Upstate NY
My Brecon Buff laid 12 eggs. Only 3 of the 12 (the ones I kept to eat for breakfast) I noticed were fertile. I did give 4 away to neighbors to eat but I never knew if those were fertile also. So out of the 8 I kept, less than half were fertilized. If I understand this correctly, some incubation time has to pass in order to candle the egg to see if it's fertilized. An embryo has to begin forming. I am a little new to goose laying and the process that entails. Is your goose sitting?

Good luck and watch out for the golden goose egg:p
Not sitting yet, I'm thinking of giving it a better place to sit since right now it's right in the path of the chickens every morning...

EveLa

Chirping
Nov 14, 2020
Not sitting yet, I'm thinking of giving it a better place to sit since right now it's right in the path of the chickens every morning...

Once a goose goes broody, you can’t move her nest, so start off by encouraging her to sit in the right place by providing nesting material in a shed or covered area. If you leave goose eggs in the nest, a goose will usually sit once she has laid a suitable size clutch of eggs.

Caring For A Broody Goose - Poultry Keeper

Top Bottom