FIRST GRANDCHICKS!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jctid, Aug 24, 2013.

1. jctid

jctid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2013
    I am a first time chicken owner, and have no rooster. I had a broody girl and gave her 6 fertilized eggs, 19 days ago. Today I went to check on her- she sometimes hides others' eggs under there too- and was surprised by TWO wet little chicks! OMG they are so cute I can't stand it. Im going to leave them alone for a while, but I will post pictures for sure. WOW! PLEASE tell me all you seasoned chicken people remember how it felt to be this excited!

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Congratulations on your new grandchicks! Sounds like your broody did a good job. I am sure the chicks are adorable and they will give you lots of cute photo opportunities to share. And, it really doesn't get any less exciting :)

3. jctid

Feb 15, 2013
    [​IMG]
    Here is Olive and three of her chicks. They are about 14 hours old in this picture! :)

4. Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    awe.....that picture is toooo cute. Congrat's.....you have to love broody hens raising some little peepers [​IMG]

5. jctid

Feb 15, 2013
    So true. Unless something happens and I need a whole bunch of new chicks at once, I will likely continue to ONLY use broody hens to hatch chicks. SO easy.

6. ChickieG'ma

ChickieG'ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2011
    Port Townsend, WA
    This spring, after ordering 35 chicks, we had a hen go broody for the first time. I will never forget the look on my 30 year old daughter's face ( yes, that was 30 ) when she went up to check on the eggs. Holding one up to her ear she got a look I have seen on my grandchildren's faces as she yelled "Mom, this is sooooo cool. You have to hear this" as the chick was peeping to her from inside. There is nothing like seeing your own grandchicks for the first time. Since then we have had two more brood clutches, one twice. It has been a productive year for us! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by