First green egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenman12510, Aug 25, 2016.

1. chickenman12510

chickenman12510 Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2016
    [​IMG] was pretty excited to find this one the other day

2. Chicken5555

Chicken5555 Chillin' With My Peeps

Totally awesome!! I got my fist green egg too this last weekend.

3. BruceAZ

BruceAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2016
    Valley of the Sun :)
    isn't this color considered as pearl white ?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  4. Chicken5555

The egg could be darker in real life. Camera flash and computer screens often makes it look different. These two pictures are of the exact same egg, one with flash and surrounded by dark green leaves, the other is without a flash and resting in my hand to create a contrasting backdrop. The second is closer to the actual color.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. BruceAZ

May 18, 2016
    true it is green with this one..

what breed will lay green eggs?

my hens only lay white, ligh brown or dark brown eggs..

6. Chicken5555

Easter Eggers and Olive Eggers are most famous for their many shades of green, blue and pink. You can get them at most hatcheries and feed stores sell them as an Amer-i-cana (as apposed to the actual breed Amer-au-cana) and they grow up to be so pretty.

1 person likes this.
  7. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    Cool! Still waiting on my first ones!

8. BruceAZ

May 18, 2016
    are they the quiet type?

i live in a community with HOA.. so quite breeds are ideal for me

9. Chicken5555

To be totally honest, it depends on the individual bird's temperament. Most of mine are pretty quiet and only cluck quietly amongst themselves. I've never heard anything from a couple of my easter egger girls, but 2 of mine can be heard inside the house more than 100 feet away. So I'd say yes, for the most part they are pretty quiet, but you may have to be prepared to rehome one if it has that bossy loud personality.

Chickens of all breeds will squawk from time to time and the roosters..... don't get me started. There are a half dozen roaming my mini farm and they crow all day long from dusk 'till dawn. I think my Polish crested are the most quiet of the breeds I have, but they lay white eggs instead of green and blue like you said you want. The BB red bantams are noisy, but again, not blue or green layers. Pure True Ameraucanas can be very chatty, but they aren't loud about it at all and they are a remarkably docile breed. They ley blue eggs and there are currently eight recognized colors. Easter eggers come in a wide range of colors and markings.

Sorry to that you to death LOL - I enjoy sharing info. [​IMG]
    Here are a few of my girls so you can get an idea of how different they can look.

[​IMG] Hatchery EE

[​IMG] Ameraucana x Marans

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  10. BruceAZ

May 18, 2016

hens are mostly quiet..

unless they are at layging ages

they are noisy before and after laying an egg

they are especially noise when they are fighting over 1 nest box-- i have 2 nest boxes for 5 hens but for some odd reason they like to use only 1 next box

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by