First Greetings

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Miguel Landestoy, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Miguel Landestoy

Miguel Landestoy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2017
    Taunton, MA
    Hello,
    My name is Miguel L. 24 yrs old, just married in June 2017 and have a little one on the way!:D:D I got introduce to the whole backyard chicken thing by my parents. We had chickens in Dominican Republic in a small coop and backyard, I do not remember much since I came to the US at the age of 8. But recently I got the urge to have chickens by reading a post on the Art of manliness website and how simple it was to have chickens even in a city backyard(like my parents), And I thought, "Now I want chickens!".

I don't have any chickens as of yet but I have plans to build my own chicken coop with recycle wood, mostly pallets due to money constrains. I am going around my city collecting the wood pallets from where ever I can find them in good shape. As soon as I start building them I will post this little adventure towards having chickens. I know that you guys have many articles on chicken coops, I have been reading a lot from here :cool:, but if someone can point me to a good chicken coop plan made out of wood pallets I would be very grateful. Anyways thank you for reading this essay of an introduction and thank you for the welcoming.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  2. Allie Grace Sanders

Allie Grace Sanders Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2017
    Indiana
    Welcome to BYC!

3. Lamaremybabies

Lamaremybabies Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2015
    New England
    Welcome! Congrats on all the new journeys you’re embarking on! Chickens are very addicting so be careful, especially if your town has a limit on how many chicken you can have. Have you looked into any specific breeds yet?

4. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
  5. rjohns39

rjohns39 Flock Master

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    Hi Miguel and welcome to BYC:frow We're so happy you've decided to join us:ya

6. chickendreams24

chickendreams24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2015
    Wisconsin, USA
    Congratulations and welcome to byc!!!

I will warn you chickens are expensive and generally you can not raise your own eggs for the price you can buy them for at the store. However the quality, flavor and health benefits exceed the (cheaper) store bought eggs. Especially if you free range or give your flock greens and weeds etc.

Not to mention the joys of owning and watching them. Not going to lie they're expensive but worth it. We don't have a large enough customer base yet to pay for our flock but we don't care bc they give us the best eggs and meat you can imagine.

The meat is also much much better if you plan to do that.

Depending on your city's limit make sure you build your coop bigger than you think you'll need. If you can't free range in your town the more space they have the better. Also take into consideration where you live as far as climate. Ventilation is extremely important.

7. Smuvers Farm

Smuvers Farm Melvin Up the Taterhole Premium Member

Feb 16, 2017
    TN/Western KY Border
    :welcome:celebrate

Glad you're here!

When you get your chickens, please make them a FIRST AID KIT for any issues that would arise.
    It's definitely better to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it.

Also, make sure your coop(s) have a proper amount of VENTILATION. Your chickens will absolutely thank you for it! :D

Last thing... when collecting pallets, PLEASE make sure they are stamped with HT, meaning they are Heat Treated, not chemically treated.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Miguel, hope your coop project will go well.

Hope Hughes, rjohns39, N F C and 3 others like this.
  9. 007Sean

007Sean Overrun With Chickens

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy Miguel:welcome:frow Happy :yato have you join the family. Enjoy your time here!:)

10. chickadoodles

chickadoodles Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    Hello Miguel and welcome to BYC so nice to meet you. :frow

Hope Hughes, rjohns39 and N F C like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by