First half of coop building

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MTchick, Mar 16, 2007.

1. MTchick

MTchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Western Montana
    The hubby and I really love construction projects- our house was built from scrap wood by a destitute family of eight in the 1920s so there is no shortage of work to be done around here.

It has been AWESOME to build a tiny, simple structure like a chicken coop. Here is the first half of the process- this is a 7 hen, 4 x 4 x 4 henhouse with a 10 x 20ish run. The funky tree in the run is a plum tree that drops about 30 lbs of purple italian plums a year and we are sure that we'll have the most "regular" chickens in Montana. The run will be fully fenced and top netted before we put the flock in. Right now the chicks live in a big bin sitting on the washing machine... how glorious!

Saturday we put in the posts and dug a space for the brick footing (anti-puddling and mud device) first.
    [​IMG]

Sunday, we got the bricks in place and started framing the walls up.
    [​IMG]

This is me 'for scale' leaning on the basic framework. Almost this entire coop (except three 2 x 4s) is recycled wood from our other projects at our house or from our neighbor's generous donations.
    [​IMG]

Here is a view of the setup from the back wall of the henhouse.
    [​IMG]

Side view with nest boxes installed.
    [​IMG]

Front view with nest boxes visible.
    [​IMG]

We've installed perches already, but I have no photos of that right now. I hope to start sheathing and siding this weekend, but no promises! I'm waiting on a big bunch of plywood from a friend so that our chicken budget stays on track.

-MTchick

2. chickenboy

chickenboy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2007
    Woolwich,ME
    How many chickens are you planning to have.[​IMG]

3. MTchick

Feb 2, 2007
    Western Montana
    I have 8 chicks, but two are straight run. Thus, with really good luck, I'll have 8. This is unlikely, and we might just eat one because I think 8 would be crowded in a 4 x 4 henhouse at night. I do have more than the "regulation" space for perches, though.

With normal laws of probability, 2 straight run and 6 feed store pullets is 6 or 7 hens once the dust settles.

So we are guessing 7.

-MTchick

4. @migocontodos

@migocontodos Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2007
    Commonwealth Of Virginia
    The only concern I would have would be the 4x4x4 coop. In the event of bad weather, that does not give the 7 girls a whole lot of personal space. It might lead to trouble if they are forced to be in the coop for long periods of time. Suffice to say...your run is ample for the girls...
    oh..and I love scenery...beautiful back drop you have there for your house!

5. MTchick

Feb 2, 2007
    Western Montana
    Thanks. Here is the valley I live in- from the mountainside in the background of the other photos.
    [​IMG]

And here is my backyard and utility shed on a sunny snowy morning.
    [​IMG]

We love it here!

I hear you on the weather thing. I actually intended to only get 5 but then I got chick-crazed. If things get too tight we'll "harvest" them down to about 5, I think.

-MTchick

6. MTchicknman

MTchicknman Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2017
    Where are you in Western MT - looks almost like Butte or Missoula? We're in Central MT, Grass Range, about 110 mi N. of Billlings and 32 mi. E. of Lewistown. We moved here from Kalispell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by