First Hatch 2010-Rocks, Amer's, etc. (FINISHED!)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by speckledhen, Jan 23, 2010.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

...and, hopefully, the only bator hatch this year (the broodies get eggs, though).
    Day One was the 22nd, so projected hatch date is Feb. 11. Starting with 43 eggs in the Hovabator.

13 Barred Rocks, inc 4 from nice show type stock
    12 BBS Rocks
    10 Ameraucanas, inc 8 BBS and 2 Wheaten/Blue Wheaten
    6 BBS Orpington (for my friend, Beth aka joletabey)
    2 Black Rock x Wheaten Marans

Wish me luck! Have to get a few Rocks to improve my lines as well as take up the slack as my girls age.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  2. Joyryder

Joyryder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Scandia, PA
    Good Luck! BUT do you think you could go a whole year without hatching any more fuzzy butts? Or is it your hoping the broodys take over?

3. Chipper

Chipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2009
    Washington County, NY
    Quote:Not if Jamesa has anything to due with it.LOL
    Good luck with your hatch and I hope everything
    turns out great for you. [​IMG]

4. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:Hatchaholic......... [​IMG] I didn't know that you had Wheaten and Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas Speckledhen. Or did you buy them from somebody? I have never seen pics before of your Wheaten and Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas if you have them.

5. speckledhen

Maxx, halo sent me some of her BBS Rocks and included 2 Ameraucana eggs and the 2 Marans cross eggs for me. So, no, I currently have only the BBS Ameraucana ladies, but will be adding a couple of those and I sure hope the Wheaten/Blue Wheatens hatch!

All these chicks won't be staying (hint, hint folks). I am going to pick a couple of the best BR pullets, a couple of Blue/Black/Splash Rock girls, and a few of the Amerauanas. I don't plan to keep any roosters of the bearded persuasion, but if I get a really nice BR cockerel, Dutchie may find himself in a new place with different women. The 4 better quality BR eggs and 8 Ameraucanas came from QuailHollowP&P (Samantha).

James is a good guy and I know if I get ready for those Buckeyes, he'll make sure I get some eggs. At the moment, I'm not adding any new breeds, hence new pens. Wears me out just thinking about that!

Joyryder, I may hatch more chicks, but I'd rather wait for the broodies to do it after this hatch. Of course, as I always say, all chicken plans are subject to change.

6. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Awwww heck, I think you should just build more pens! JamesA and YardFull would help, I'm sure! [​IMG]

On Rocks ... Ya know, I hatched 3 Rocks from Wynette. One drowned itself in the water dish (with marbles!) the second day. I ended up with 2, and one of each sex. They are Silver Penciled Plymouth Rocks ... oooohhhhh, so pretty! Then, of course, I have my little Holly (Fern's BR chick). She is just a baby now. Those are the only Rocks I have. Now, isn't that just plain sad?!

On Orps ... I'm not even gonna tell ya. Nope, you would just faint to hear it.

Ameracaunas I have never had. BUT, you know my, "secret project," is in the making currently. [​IMG] And, oh, those are some perdy eggs!

Good luck with your hatch! This is just soooo much fun!

7. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:Oh okay. Sending good hatch vibes your way! [​IMG]

8. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    And you KNOW my finger, toes, arms, legs, and eyes are all crossed for this hatch! [​IMG]:fl:fl:fl:fl

9. speckledhen

Thanks, Maxx. Kathy, do Scott and James know you just volunteered them to build pens for me? [​IMG]

Beth, I hope all six of Dusty's eggs hatch so you have more than a couple to choose from for Ultra's ladies.

10. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:Ohhhhh, they will pretty soon! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by