first hatch and first pip.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by alabamawes82, Mar 25, 2011.

1. alabamawes82

alabamawes82 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2011
    northeast alabama
    i have two eggs that have pipped the outer shell and i can see the beak. not really any movement for the last few hours. how long before i see them start back up again?

2. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    i dont know, but I am interested in the answer.

3. meatbirdman

meatbirdman New Egg

Mar 19, 2011
    Could be a few minutes or could be many hours...they all very.. should see something within the next 24 hrs..

4. smchickfarm

smchickfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Waynesville,OH
    it can take up to 24 hours from pip to hatch!!! It is an exhusting process for them and sometimes it can take awhile! My last hatch it took a couple of them 24 hours to hatch and they are fine!

Hang in there![​IMG] Sit on those hands and just watch, watch, watch!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

Good Luck! [​IMG]

5. cowgirlhog

cowgirlhog New Egg

Feb 7, 2011
    we too have 4 that have pipped. can see them a bit and hear them.. we too are anxiously waiting and watching. sure hope it doesn't take 24 hours. one was on the wrong end. how do you tell if they are too dry before they hatch? the membrane appears dry (i think)

6. tracecom

tracecom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Quote:I had one yesterday that broke through with his beak in the morning and didn't hatch until sometime in the night. I could see the tip of his beak and hear hiim peeping, but nothing else. Today, he's fine. On the other hand, I had one that pipped and hatched within about six hours. Different tricks for different chicks. [​IMG]

7. cowgirlhog

cowgirlhog New Egg

Feb 7, 2011
    we had two chicks in 20 minutes or so. the first one chirped a bunch and worked hard and fast. from pick to hatch about 3 hours. the second was less time that that, but used less energy on chirping. the other two that pipped i don't think are working on it or making any sound.

my daughter and i watched and videoed both for my son to see. he missed it. so very cool!

8. alabamawes82

alabamawes82 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2011
    northeast alabama
    still no peeping or any movement and i can see the beak of one. hasnt moved since last night

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by