First Hatch and hating lock down!

The Point

Songster
10 Years
Dec 30, 2009
Wow I wish I had found you guys 21 days ago! I need someone to hold my hand. Today is hatch day and I can't take it. I am so worried about my babies. I think I have done everything correctly and could see movement in my four white eggs on day eighteen. I even made it through a 12 hour power outage on day 11.

I have twelve eggs, 4 California Grey Leghorn, 3 Isa Browns, 3 buff orpingtons and 2 americanas. I am pretty sure nothing happened in one of the buffs, but saved it anyway since I have never candled before this. I am new to chickens so excuse me if I say anything stupid:)

This spring I ordered 8 pullets from the local co-op. Much to my surprise one turned out to be a rooster! I didn't really care and intended to keep him until he became very aggressive and started attacking my kids when they went to collect eggs. I mentioned to a friend that I needed to get rid of him and much to my shock she came and got him. I was so riddled with guilt, I made an incubator and here I am!

You will make it through. betcha, I just started my first batch of 14 EE and 8 silkie mix on the 21st and hope a few make it through. I stabilized the temp in the incubator before I placed the eggs inside, went away for a few days to visit family for Christmas and the temp rose from 99.5 to 100.5 so now I am worried but I still believe that some of the chicks will hatch. It has been to long since I used this incubator. Reading about everyone's different flocks made me want additional birds, so now I have the fever also. It is so easy to order new eggs on BYC

Last edited:
YAY for you ... it's hatch day ! ! ! Sit back and enjoy the fun! I know you are worried sick. We all get that way. We are here to help .... just ask away ... any questions or concerns!

Welcome to BYC !
welcome-byc.gif

I have three that are moving around and think I have seen others move, but not really trusting my own mind anymore. Every time I close my eyes I see eggs.

This is my first hatch as well... hatch day is new years day. The lockdown is killing me and I am scared to death I screwed something up... I set 12 jersey giant eggs...

I CAN'T stand the wait!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck you you...

Back
Top Bottom