1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First Hatch and needing HELP!!! on day 22!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Littleturkey123, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Littleturkey123

Littleturkey123 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2011
    Owen Sound, Canada
    Hi, I have one turkey egg that I got from a friend and It has been under a lamp at about 100 degrees for 11 days I have been worrying like crazy, this is my first and probably only hatch , my dad said that if I can't hatch and take care of this egg I'm not allowed to get another one [​IMG] anyway I was wondering If anyone would give me tips about candling and hatching. I candled a few days ago and I saw a dark spot in the middle of a lighter but still dark glob, I'm not sure what that means but I am forever hopeful:)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  2. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I wish you and your egg well! Hatching while fun and exciting doesnot result in a poult or chick for every egg set. It wouldn't be your fault if the turkey egg doesn't hatch be cause many of them don't for many reasons. You are learning how to take care of something, to be patient, and many other skills.

I'll be setting my turkey eggs to night. And when I do, I'll be thinking of you. It's my first time too.

Good wishes. [​IMG]

and:[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  3. Littleturkey123

Jul 11, 2011
    Owen Sound, Canada
    Thanks a lot and good luck to you too [​IMG]
    Also please post tips everyone! me and my unborn chick would greatly appreciate it [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  4. Littleturkey123

Jul 11, 2011
    Owen Sound, Canada
    Dat 22 and only 1/3 to 1/4 is the dark blob, is this normal since the incubation days are 28 for turkeys?[​IMG]

5. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Quote:lol..dark blobs are usually good if they are moving dark blobs once in a while. I am also hatching my first turkey eggs..they were given to me. Not sure what I will do with them, I know they are fertile..lots of veins. Mine aren't due for a while. But I just hatched duck eggs, they say it's pretty much the same, so, we shall see. I've gotten my turkeys this far...little eyeballs in there.
    Just watch for the movement in there the next couple of days. Good luck!

6. Littleturkey123

Jul 11, 2011
    Owen Sound, Canada
    Quote:lol..dark blobs are usually good if they are moving dark blobs once in a while. I am also hatching my first turkey eggs..they were given to me. Not sure what I will do with them, I know they are fertile..lots of veins. Mine aren't due for a while. But I just hatched duck eggs, they say it's pretty much the same, so, we shall see. I've gotten my turkeys this far...little eyeballs in there.

thanks and good luck to you too and he moved VERY slowly when i candled him yesterday [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  7. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah

thanks and good luck to you too and he moved VERY slowly when i candled him yesterday [​IMG]

There ya go! A lazy turkey baby. [​IMG]

8. Littleturkey123

Jul 11, 2011
    Owen Sound, Canada
    Lock down day 24:

just candled the egg and it wasn't moving for me. but when is was smaller it didn't move much either so i hope it is sleeping. have you ever heard of premi turkeys where they are really small but still hatch. on silkie chickens candling i am on about day 14. my hopes are slowly draining, i cant get a good look at him with the light. [​IMG] I am still putting him in lockdown within the hour though. if he happened to not make it how can you tell,after a certain number of days in lockdown, day(?). anyway keep your fingers crossed for me [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by