First hatch and temperature swings

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by twopeas, Dec 8, 2011.

1. twopeas

twopeas Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2011
    Virginia
    This is my first setting of eggs. I have a LG still air and cannot keep the temp stable no matter what I do. It swings wildly from 102 to 94 degrees at any given time. Is this just pretty normal for this incubator? I wasn't sure about thermometers so I have two digital oral thermometers and a meat thermometer [​IMG]
    I know its normal to worry but should I just get it close and leave it alone?

2. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    Yep. Pretty normal for the LG.. I have one, I hate it.

Getting a fan will help the temperature problems. I still hate LGs with or with-out the fan.. [​IMG]
    Also be sure the incubator is in a temperature stable room, away from doors, windows, A/C, etc.
    Any drafty ereas, and ereas in the sunlight, basically, should obviously be avoided.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  3. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    Also I have read getting some larger stones and putting them in the incubator will help stabalize the temps. They absorb the heat and help with the stabalization [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. BamaSilkies

BamaSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Alabama
    I read on another thread that someone uses 3 of the aquarium therms in their LG and hasnt had any problem since then:>

5. twopeas

twopeas Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2011
    Virginia
    Thank you! I have officially added "new incubator" to my Christmas list :)

6. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Quote:What a great idea! I too am trying a hatch soon with a still air, and I've been worrying myself sick over fluctuations. Now I feel silly for nothing thinking of it myself [​IMG].

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by