First hatch, babies due tomorrow, should I move hen and eggs?

kpborkowski

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 12, 2008
Chelsea (Vic), Australia
Our Pekin Bantam Rosie is sitting on 5 sussex eggs and tomorrow is day 21. We are so excited this is our first hatch.

I was wondering whether I should move Rosie and her eggs into seperate living quarters now or after the chicks hatch. I am a little concerned because the nest box is a fair way off the ground for little chicks, they could fall and get hurt.

We also have 3 other hens, but they only come into the pen at night, they free range all day and food and water is also outside.

Sorry for the long post, but I have so many questions. Also if we don't get any babies tomorrow how long after day 21 should we wait until getting rid of the eggs.

Please Please I hope we get some little fluffy babies, the kids are so excited.

Do you have any nest boxes on the floor ??? I would move her somewhere that the baby chicks will be safe on cant fall out and hurt them selfs.... If you move her make sure you keep and eye on her that she doesnt leave that nest and go back to the other one.... Any kind of box, tote, crate on the floor will do !!!!

If the eggs dont hatch on day 21 I would give it another 3-4 days !!!!!

Good luck, and keep us posted (with pics)

opps almost forgot......
welcome-byc.gif

Keep an eye on her. You will know when she is getting ready to hatch. She most likely will not come off the nest. Rather than mover her to the floor now, just block her in the nest when you know she is hatching, and wait until she is done, then move her and the chicks. I would wait til at least day 23 before candling and tossing, but she probably won't wait that long. If you have an incubator, you could take the eggs that don't hatch before she stops setting and hatch them yourself. But I would wait until she is done hatching before moving her. I wouldn't worry about moving them completely out of the coop, since the others only come in at night to sleep, they shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks swtanget321 and shelleyd2008 for your advice.

It's day 21 today and still no babies, hopefully something will happen overnight. I might do as you suggested Shelleyd and keep her where she is and keep a close eye on her. Will see what happens tomorrow.

Will keep you updated on the progress.

Oops almost forgot to say thanks to swtanget for the welcome - THANK YOU (I am addicted to this site already)

Last edited:
i made some single nest boxes so that i can move a broody hen to her own pen. mine are fine if i pick them up nest and all. they are fairly quiet and mellow. may not work to move a hen depending on the breed. if i can hear a chick i know it will pip in a day or two. chicks are usually content to stay under mom for at least 1 day.

Back
Top Bottom