First hatch coming soon!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rnoyster, Feb 28, 2009.

1. rnoyster

rnoyster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Conway, South Carolina
    Ok all, today is day 18 in the incubator. I took the eggs gently out of the auto turner and laid them on their side directly on the floor of the incubator. The temp is staying consistently at 99.5 degrees and the humidity has been about 50% the entire time, except when adding water, candling, etc. I have added water to the pan inside to bring the humidity up to about 65% and closed the lid for the next few days. Is there anything that I have not done that should be done? Something that I did that I shouldn't have done? Please advise. Dick

2. RHewitt

RHewitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like you have done it by the book. On day 21 watch for piping to start (that's where they make a small crack in the shell) after pipping it can take up 10 hours to hatch. I usually average 8 hours. Then they will zip around the shell and hatch. Remember to resist the urge to open the bator during your hatch so that the humidty want drop.

How many eggs?

3. rnoyster

Jan 20, 2009
    Conway, South Carolina
    I originally set 21 eggs from my flock of RIR/BO cross hens with a RIR/Game roo. I took out 5 at about 12-14 days due to seeing that they were clear. I candled again yesterday. I may have another couple that aren't any good, but the eggs are dark, with good air pockets showing, nothing smells bad, so I'm going to give them a few days and see what happens with them.

4. Irajoe

Irajoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2009
    South Carolina
    Sounds great - congratulations! Hoping for a great hatch for you! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. LocoPollo

LocoPollo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA
    First hatch is so exciting! Good luck to you!

6. rnoyster

Jan 20, 2009
    Conway, South Carolina
    I have looked at the incubator at least 100 times already this morning and I still have 2 days to go! It is pouring rain outside so I cannot get out of the house to try to get busy!!! Are you all sure that I just can't crack the eggs just a little to see what I am going to get? LOL!!!!!!

7. rnoyster

Jan 20, 2009
    Conway, South Carolina
    I just came home from work and instantly looked in the incubator. I have 4 eggs that have a hole in them or the makings of a hole. Tomorrow is day 21! I set eggs on the 10th and the 11th. and the eggs that are hatching are marked 2/10 so we are right on schedule the way I think. Is that correct?
    Dick

8. LocoPollo

LocoPollo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA
    Yep, sounds like you are on track and will soon have some new chickies!

9. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    i thinks you will have fuzzy butts soon! [​IMG] [​IMG] and glad to see you are doing your part in helping me help the chickens take the world over

10. rnoyster

Jan 20, 2009
    Conway, South Carolina
    Well, I just looked at the incubator again (imagine that! LOL!!) Now I have 8 eggs with pips. All 8 are marked as set on 2/10. There are still 2 more from 2/10 and then 6 more set 2/11. Hopefully, the first pips will finish hatching out about the time the 2/11 eggs are pipping!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by