First Hatch Complete! 18 out of 19 eggs hatched! THANK YOU! Questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by verycherry, Apr 28, 2009.

1. verycherry

verycherry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    SC Arkansas
    They are all so strong and alert. I'm thrilled! I've learned so much on BYC over the past few months, including what incubator to buy, and I'd like to thank you all. THANK YOU!!!

I already posted a pic of this cute little Silkie X EE yesterday.

[​IMG] Here is the thread on him if you didn't see it...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=171067

Here are the rest of his friends...

[​IMG]

I have a few questions.

I had a few surprises. I thought I had put in 4 Silkie eggs, but a few were actually Cochin eggs. Some of them lay eggs that look the same, and they were running together until recently.

Here is one little guy that I believe is a Black Cochin Frizzle and Silkie Cross.

He'd be a Sizzle then?....or a smooth sizzle if he doesn't have the frizzled feathers like his Mom? I don't know. He does have 5 toes and the black skin.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  2. Ruditchka

Ruditchka Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Beautiful chicks! What incubator did you decide to purchase? Congrats![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. verycherry

May 29, 2008
    SC Arkansas
    Thank you!

I decided on the Brisnea 20 ECO. The website had it on sale for $99.99, and I heard bout the sale here on BYC. I had only read good things about it here.

I actually used an Little Giant as a hatcher the last few days though, because I had newly shipped eggs to get into the Brisnea.

Edited to say... I have to say that the quality of the Brisnea is so far above the LG, but the LG did fine as a hatcher.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Brisnea or Brinsea?

5. verycherry

May 29, 2008
    SC Arkansas
    Ah! Brinsea, thank you! I can blame it on lack of sleep over the past few night of incubation can't I? Lol!

6. verycherry

May 29, 2008
    SC Arkansas
    By the way, about 8 of these are EE's, but 2 are Ameraucana "project birds" (the yellow ones). Fancy way to say EE huh, lol! There is also a Partridge Cochin, which is my first out of that breeding, so I'm very happy that that egg hatched.

7. Ruditchka

Ruditchka Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    The ECO 20 is currently on sale again for $99 at the Brinsea site! Maybe I'll order one for my ex-wife's B-day..., she wants to hatch quail eggs![​IMG]

8. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:BRINSEA RULES !

9. verycherry

May 29, 2008
    SC Arkansas
    Ruditchka wrote:
    The ECO 20 is currently on sale again for $99 at the Brinsea site! Maybe I'll order one for my ex-wife's B-day..., she wants to hatch quail eggs!

Perfect present! That's a great idea. The customer service is wonderful as well.

Oh, and I didn't mention on this thread that we opened the 19th egg, and there was a dead chick. He had broken into the eggs air cell and everything, just never pipped.

I opened the egg and found that the chicks belly wasn't just right, and there was some swelling at the base of the skull. I know I heard the chick move a bit the day before, but not like the 17th and 18th chicks did in the egg when I checked. I guess it was best that it didn't hatch. Still sad though.​

10. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    very good hatch rate were they all shipped eggs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by