First hatch complete!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by classroomducks, Nov 1, 2009.

1. classroomducks

classroomducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2009
    Fort Worth, Tx
    So out of the 24 eggs I started with, I am ending with 8 very healthy ducklings.

6 pekins, and 2 mallards.

I am a little sad about the mallards, we started with 12 eggs from the carolina biological supply company. 6 made it to lock down. I had 2 hatch fully, 3 that never pipped, and 1 that pipped zipped, but for whatever reason...never made it out...Im really sad about this baby. I was here at noon to check on the babies, I had one new hatch and that little guy had pipped and was starting to zip. Could see his little bill, and he was breathing and chirping. When I came back at 6 to put him in the incubator...he was fully zipped but wasnt moving or chirping. I picked up the egg and I could see his little eye through the hole...he was not moving, so i pulled apart the egg hoping that I wasnt too late, but I was. I dont know what happened. He had come so far. When i picked up the egg there was a brownish fluid that was leaking out of it...and after looking at him, his tummy was really distended. His egg looked a lot more blood than the other babies did. I wish I knew what happend to this guy. It is not a total loss for him though. One of the science teachers is going to preserve him in a jar. So that is kinda cool. I wish I had more than 2 mallards though...I wont go through a supply company again. I ll stick to getting eggs from you guys. Oh well I guess. Im pretty sure the 6 other eggs (3 pekin and 3 mallard) are gone. I see no movement and below the egg sack is no longer veiny just yellowish and dark at the bottom. Ill leave them in the bator til wednesday just to make sure. I guess I should be glad the kiddos werent here for that baby dying...

All in all though I'm really happy and glad this whole hatch thing is over! Whew! Anyways, heres the individual pictures of all 8 babies in order of appearance as best as I can guess, and one group shot. We will be naming them tomorrow.

Baby #1, October 29
    [​IMG]

Baby #2, October 29
    [​IMG]

Baby #3, October 29
    [​IMG]

Baby #4, October 30 AM
    [​IMG]

Baby #5, October 30 PM
    [​IMG]

Baby #6, October 30 PM
    [​IMG]

Baby #7, October 31
    [​IMG]

Baby #8, November 1
    [​IMG]

And all together...

[​IMG]

2. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    Congratulations! Don't you just love ducklings! Keep up the good work!

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Doesn't sound like an incubation problem but a development problem.

The others all look great. LOVE the duck pile pic [​IMG]

4. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

You did a great job! It was great going through this with you too. Thank you so much.

5. geosheets

geosheets Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Ohio
    That last picture is priceless... just curious, what happened with the egg that cracked? Did it make it?

6. classroomducks

Sep 19, 2009
    Fort Worth, Tx
    no. smurf as we named the egg due to the blue wax, was alive for several days after it got cracked. It was alive when I went to lockdown even. It had even broken into the airsac. But it never pipped or hatched. I plan on opening the eggs that didnt hatch to see what they look like.

7. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    They are very cute. I am looking at your chicken wire and wondering of they can get their heads stuck in that - do you have something covering that good, so they can't poke their heads all the way through... I'm such a worrier......They are darling ducklings. The kids will be so excited tomorrow.

tia

8. classroomducks

Sep 19, 2009
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I dont have anything besides the chicken wire. Doesnt seem to be an issue so far. Hopefully it wont be. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by