first hatch-crowded incubator help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by HeatherFeather, Jan 21, 2013.

1. HeatherFeather

HeatherFeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Severn Bridge, ON
    So, its my first time with my hovabator still air, and I did what the instructions say not to do- I totally loaded it with 64 eggs. I guess its the greed in my human nature taking over.

I thought I'd be removing some when I candled, but it took me a bit to figure out a candler, and once I did, it was day 16 and they were too dark, I couldn't tell what was going on, and I felt the candler I made was too hot and didn't want to keep doing it, so I only did some, couldn't figure anything out and put them back.

Now its going on day 19, and I have a full incubator. I am afraid to try and take another guess at the eggs and remove some. Will the chicks have a hard time getting out cause there is other eggs in the way?

H

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    can you post a picture so we can see how crowded it is. how did you make a candler? if it a light bulb just use one of those new twirly ones they dont give off much heat. what coloer eggs?

3. oldcluck

oldcluck Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2011
    At day 19 eggs should be too dark to see anything but the air cell at the large end. candle the eggs. remove any clears. There is most likely 10 percent or more that is clear. once you remove the ckears you will have room for the good eggs to hatch. a few seconds each on the candler won't hurt them.

4. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    agreed if they are that tight in there. but dont wait! lock them right back down and do it as fast as possible without dropping eggs... maybe someone can help adding and removing??? you can keep humidity up while you candle with lightly misting the side or top of the bator, dont leave it open and dont get eggs wet.

5. HeatherFeather

Feb 16, 2009
    Severn Bridge, ON
    ok will do. i still have 1 more manual turn before i stop, so i will do it then. the shells are dark brown and so far they all look the same.

6. HeatherFeather

Feb 16, 2009
    Severn Bridge, ON
    So I found 11 clear eggs, and took them out. Made a lot more space and I feel better about it now :) I also found 7 eggs which looked half dark and half clear. There were sort of 2 distinct dark areas inside. Are these eggs which the chicks died partway through? I left them in the incubator, but put them all together on one side.

7. HeatherFeather

Feb 16, 2009
    Severn Bridge, ON
    Oh yes and to further complicate things, we now have to leave town for a funeral all day Friday. Eggs are due to hatch Wed/Thurs. We heat with wood. My neighbor will come every 4 hours to put wood in the stove. Should I be removing any chicks to the brooder before I leave on Friday, or should I just leave them in the bator? I will be back late Friday night. And be tired from driving all day, have a truck full of sheep coming back with me, and a baby and 9 year old to tend to as well, while my hubby stays down for a wake so I'm on my own.

8. babffel

babffel Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2012
    Texas
    the chicks will be fine in the incubator until saturday.. they can go 2-3 days without food and water.

9. HeatherFeather

Feb 16, 2009
    Severn Bridge, ON
    Thank you :)

10. babffel

babffel Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2012
    Texas
    your welcome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by