First hatch day 20 with trouble I think :(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ddnowens, Apr 9, 2012.

1. ddnowens

ddnowens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2012
    Georgia
    Had 5 eggs rocking n rollin all day yesterday out of 9....temp good humidity good....by this morning I had one that had tiny piece of shell gone but I see the white membrane still intact but doesnt look dry at all.....Im so new to chickens and so excited but is it normal for them to break the shell away and membrane still be intact at first. Will they break it later or is this sign of trouble?

2. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    It's normal, it will take a while,, but it will work its way out in due time. Now just sit on your hands & wait the never ending wait!! Post pics once the baby is hatched!! Good luck & [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  3. ddnowens

Apr 9, 2012
    Georgia
    Thank you for the quick response I have been worrying all morning....I do not see any pips from the others yet but heard tweets this morning when I found the one pip....Im just so nervous cause this one egg is a little egg from my buff or polish crested havent figured that out which it belongs too yet :) ..... and when I candled on 17th day it looked so tight in there lol

4. DirtCreature

DirtCreature Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
    how exciting! now play the hurry up and wait game!

5. blueberrychickens

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    Your still a day early, mine didnt start till a day late on my last hatch. So I guess early is better than late in my book anyways! Gotta love that self induced stress!

6. ddnowens

Apr 9, 2012
    Georgia
    1 baby out! Oh freeze this is so exciting! How do u post a picture in here?

7. ddnowens

Apr 9, 2012
    Georgia
    Baby number 2 is out but temp has dropped to 96 hum still good....I'm so afraid to touch the thermostat!

8. ddnowens

Apr 9, 2012
    Georgia
    AND NOW THERE IS 2!!!! First time hatch i see is stressful....They have bowled other eggs around and around and around not sure if they even gonna hatch now I think they in shock and confused lol they knocked therm down about half a inch to where it was so temp reads 96-98 so Im thinking temp may still be okay up where it started to begin with.....but here is the babies so far!!!

[​IMG]

9. blueberrychickens

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    Congrats on the new babies!!! Yes, they will now bounce all over the bator & play soccer w/ the other eggs. It's ok, don't worry. Your humidity looks really high, is that condensation on the window??? What are your readings??? Don't fuss w/ the temp, but maybe pull a vent plug out to release some humidity, but keep a close eye on it.
    What kind of bator do you have??

10. ddnowens

Apr 9, 2012
    Georgia
    You just asked the question I was hoping I wouldn't be asked lol but its okay....I don't have anything measuring humidity lol but do have one coming from Murray McMurray this week for next hatch. I have both vents open and when I went to check this morning and took this pic i open bator for a sec to release some of the humidity. Im using a older hova bator my neighbor gave me....I know I know im not doing everything right and I knew humidity had gotten to high.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by