First Hatch! Due January 18th. -- Pics of Candled eggs!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kerjack, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Kerjack

Kerjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    So I have just got an incubator for Christmas so I am going to attempt my first hatch!. The incubator I'm using is a HovaBator 1602N. I have had it on and running for the last 2 days to get the temp steady. Just got the Hygrometer today though so I'm still kinda fiddling with that.

I will be putting in 8 Buff Orpington(roo) x Isa Browns(pullets). Was going to put in more, but they froze and cracked on me haha. My bad.

Anyone care to join me?
    I will be taking pictures!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  2. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    I have 13 eggs due on the 18th that I just set this morning [​IMG]

3. Kerjack

Nov 5, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Oh awesome! Kinda excited now that I'm not the only one.

4. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    I have an old Hovabator that I have setup, plugged in and am checking 4-6 times daily for temp & humidity. I will probably set eggs in it later in the week...so I will be a bit behind you.

5. gvntofly05

gvntofly05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    I'll be setting 12+ BCM eggs tomorrow or Thursday! I'm excited, it's nice to see there will be a few of us hatching babies Jan 18-21!

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I'd love to join you, but alas my brooders are full and I'm on my last hatch for now. Almost 2000 chicks this year, so I need a break. I'll be unplugging my Sportsman and giving it a good clean down and rest for a while. Happy hatching to all of you! [​IMG]

7. thechickonthehill

thechickonthehill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Sadieville, KY
    [​IMG] Hi All, can I join as a hatch buddy? I put 24 eggs in my homemade incubator this afternoon. This will be my first time to incubate so I will definitely need moral support.

8. Kerjack

Nov 5, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Ok so I believe today is day 7, my counting might be off, so I decided to try candling for the first time. I have absolutely no idea what I am doing and all the eggs looked exactly the same. They were all dark at one end, and almost all through the egg was dark. Then at the other end I could see through it. I have no idea what this means, I wonder if they are all bad. [​IMG]

9. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    hope all your eggs aren't bad I have my first hatch due on the 19th I have candled and 2 look good can't tell with the other 2 so I am leaving them in for now. I will also be setting 30 or so eggs this weekend.

Henry

10. thechickonthehill

thechickonthehill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Sadieville, KY
    Hi hatch buddies![​IMG] I am on day 7 today and actually saw life when I candled.[​IMG] I didn't expect to be able to tell anything since I've never done this before. Of the 11 silkie eggs, I definitely saw veining in 6 and movement of a dark little chicken blob in a seventh! I was so surprised I almost dropped the egg. At least 3 of my 9 Faverolles eggs are developing veins - one had another swimming baby in it - but they were not as easy to see so I'm not sure about the others. Three of the 4 EEs had obvious veining too. Everything smelled okay so I left them all in. I'm not sure if I'll check them again next week or just wait til day 18. It took half the day to get the temp settled back in, so I may just leave them alone until I take my turner out. I'm just tickled that I was able to actually see something![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by